Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when i am opening old .docx word file in pages it automatically removes headers , footers , shapes, text boxes and table cells. how do i stop it

when i am opening old .docx word file in pages it automatically removes headers , footers , shapes, text boxes and table cells. how do i stop it

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 9:50 PM

6 replies

Mar 1, 2015 7:26 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

hi peter

the version is 5.5.2 (2120). some one has prepared my work resume on ms word format on windows . when i am at viewing it on gmail online its fine but if i download the file on macbook and open it with pages it completely changes the layout of it . few paragraphs, headers , lines will go missing and looks like a incomplete file. i don't know wether i am able to put my point across or not but i really need help as i am forwarding my resume to all comp and i don't know wether they are viewing it on matchbook or not.

Mar 1, 2015 7:49 AM in response to rmtgill

Pages v5.5.2 is not a Word clone, and does not work in the native .docx format. It attempts to translate Word content, and if your cv was done in Word 2013, Pages v5.5.2 has limited support for this new Word content. Consequently, it will be the grim reaper of document objects during the open translation, or export back to Word. Oh, did I say that Pages v5.5.2 exports Word documents as a minimum of 500Kb, even if they contain a single character.

Use the free LibreOffice (support for Word 2013), or Office for Mac 2011 with update 14.4.8 (native edits).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.