Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I upgraded the OS system on my 2011 mac mini. It now runs very slow. Do I need to increase the ram. I only have 2 GB now.

My 2011 mac mini now runs very slow. I have to wait on it to do basic things. I only have 2 GB of ram. It came with this amount and it fan fine for several years. But I upgraded to the most recent Os system and now it runs slow. What do I need? More RAM?

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 8:01 PM

7 replies

Mar 2, 2015 1:57 AM in response to murphygay

2Gb will let it run but as you have found it will almost as soon as you open an application slow down to a crawl. I would therefore definitely upgrade the RAM and I suggest you go straight to 8GB and skip 4GB.

If you want to further improve the performance the next step would be to upgrade from a traditional hard disk to a SSD flash memory disk drive.

Mar 3, 2015 7:48 AM in response to murphygay

murphygay wrote:

I will upgrade to 8GB. Thanks for the advice. Also have an older (2009) 24" IMAC and it also runs slow with the upgrade. It has 4 GB. I think I will replace it with a brand new 21 or 27 inch. Thanks for the response.

Bill

That's one way to justify a new Mac. :-) Adding more RAM to the 2009 model is cheaper, though (but I'm guessing not as much fun).

I upgraded the OS system on my 2011 mac mini. It now runs very slow. Do I need to increase the ram. I only have 2 GB now.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.