Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (2011) 13" keeps crashing with Yosemite 10.10.2

My MacBook Pro8,1 (early 2011) "Core i7" 13" started crashing after I upgraded and installed the free Yosemite 10.10.2 from Apple. Has anyone else with a similar model MacBook Pro laptop experienced this problem in general? Problems with Yosemite started soon after the upgrade install... the startup would get to full boot up after several restarts then crash after a time. At first I thought it was a conflict with other applications. Then after days of trouble shooting and even changing to a new Samsung EVO 250 SSD the problem still recurred repeatedly. I have re-installed the original install CD numerous times checking disk utility, partitions, etc. and got Snow Leopard 10.6.6 installed OK. Then I would update all that I could clicking updates on the Apple menu icon up till OS 10.6.8 and some other applications. Up till that things seemed to be OK. As soon as I downloaded Yosemite OS 10.10.2 and installed it...then all the crashing problems began. I could get into safe install every now again then restart only to get in a startup crash loop. I've repeatedly check my new SSD with disk utility and volumes are OK. I've run virus checks with no infection. I've run a hardware test (provided on one of the original CDs) with only good result. So I'm really baffled when my understanding is MacBook Pro of my vintage can accept OS 10.10.x as it doesn't appear to be OK on my laptop. Perhaps it clashes with my virus checker (MacKeeper) or some other application. Can anyone shed light on this problem or have a similar problem?

AppleTV 2, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Optimum download speed for HD movie

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 4:52 AM

You probably have some software that you keep installing that is not compatible with Yosemite. The first thing you need to do is remove MacKeeper, which is a scam. See:

Ongoing MacKeeper fraud

Beyond that, it's impossible to say what might be causing the problem without more information. I would suggest downloading EtreCheck:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Run it and post the report that it generates here.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 4:52 AM in response to kenjpark

You probably have some software that you keep installing that is not compatible with Yosemite. The first thing you need to do is remove MacKeeper, which is a scam. See:

Ongoing MacKeeper fraud

Beyond that, it's impossible to say what might be causing the problem without more information. I would suggest downloading EtreCheck:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Run it and post the report that it generates here.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

Mar 1, 2015 5:56 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thank you thomas_r. I'm now reinstalling my original Apple Snow Leopard CD OS X 10.6.6 and will NOT load MacKeeper. I've been ignorant about MacKeeper being a scam and in fact paid for two licenses...one for my desktop and one for the MacBook Pro (early 2011) in question. If no crashes, I'll upgrade to OS X 10.6.8 then on to Yosemite OS X 10.10.2 without loading MacKeeper to see if it may have been the cause of conflict/crashes. If problem persists, I'll try and get etrecheck report and post it for examination on this forum. Thanks again ... be back after more trouble shooting ... being doing this for what seems like a month now :-(

MacBook Pro (2011) 13" keeps crashing with Yosemite 10.10.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.