Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect mac mini using 10.4.11 to wifi

I have one of the first Mac Mini's running OS X 10.4.11 (Intel Core Duo, 1.66 GHz) with 2 GB ram, ROM is MM 11.0055.B08, AirPort card installed, BlueTooth on (for printer) previously it was wire connected to the internet, but moved from USA to current location:

in JAPAN

our router has three addresses (and passwords) available, using one now for MBP running OS X 10.9.5

calling NTT, they say we cannot connect it through WiFi although

WiFi says it is looking for PPPoE and can't find the server

I am not a Mac genius (but neither is NTT) how do I connect to our WiFi, step by step?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.4.11), see above text

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 7:13 PM

16 replies

Mar 2, 2015 6:16 PM in response to lllaass

IIIaass,

sorry for the span of time, life got in the way; first, thank you for your comments, but even with your expertise, I am leery of of your ability to solve this problem for two reasons (not wanting to put you off, because I DO want to solve this if it's possible) but when you say, "right click", it sounds like you're a PC guy, and using a MBP there is no "right click" as there is only the track pad; and on the Mac Mini there is a simple mouse, no buttons

secondly, as I said above, I am doing this in JAPAN, through the NTT ISP, whom we have called and the "tech" said that the M-mini running OS X 10.4.11, could not be connected, period (maybe they know, maybe they don't, maybe they're not skilled with Mac ("right click"?) maybe they just don't want to try

but

first, how is the M-mini using WiFi? through the Airport card? (not "built-in Ethernet") as per the pictures on the Set-up Assistant? so I have tried to input all the required fields asked for with the same result: no connection

to answer your first question: I have no idea what security protocols the router is using, all I know is that when we connected to it with the MBP many months ago, it was a struggle, but NTT walked us through it and it's working; we have three "ports", if you will available: rt500k-ca0fe9-1, 2 and 3 with associated passwords

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

when I click on "other" I can see the rt500k-ca0fe9-2 as also available (the MBP is using rt500k-ca0fe9-1) and I insert the password

to answer your second question: when the M-mini is turned on, Safari automatically boots up and loads, then in the menu bar at the "WiFi" fan the words, "looking for PPPoE server host" comes up and then a screen splash that says it can't find the host

from your next statement, I don't know by what means we connected the MBP (because it was with my wife who got terribly frustrated, between US and JP text inputs, me yelling in English and the tech talking to her in Japanese) and as above, the tech at NTT said it couldn't be done

I have filled in all the fields I could find without successful connection

User uploaded file User uploaded file

I look forward to your next try, again, it must be simple step by simple step and perhaps in the order initially required, and I thank you in advance for your efforts on my behalf

VTY

B3

Mar 1, 2015 2:43 AM in response to Buboo-JP

What security is the router using?

What exactly happens when you try to connect?

You shuld be able to connect the same as as the MBP.

What would be useful would be to on the MBP is to press the and hold the Option key and then right click on the wifi/AirPort icon. That will show details about the connection.

Take a screenshot of the details and post it here

How to take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

Mar 3, 2015 2:43 AM in response to lllaass

Good Evening,

I'm glad you are still with me, OK, back to basics: I see no place on the M-mini Preferences screen that speaks directly to "WiFi" and my assumption was, that at least at one point (before I started screwing with absolutely everything I could find) that it tried to connect as it had been in the past, in the USA where I had it configured (don't know how I did that, maybe "Set-up Assistant") with a cable that ran from the computer Ethernet port back to my router in another part of the house

now, here in Japan we are wireless and the MBP through "WiFi" connects just fine to the NTT tower, but I don't understand with what piece of the M-mini it is supposed to connect; I assumed the "Airport" card

is this so? I find no other Preference screen that speaks to "WiFi" particularly, the closest is configuring the Airport

so

when the M-mini starts up it launches Safari automatically and tries to connect to the "Internet" (by what means I don't know) and a screen comes up that says, "computer is not connected to the Internet" (that I am painfully aware of) then another screen comes over that that says, "Built-in Ethernet is set up to use PPPoE" and then another screen comes up about "Internet connection: could not find a PPPoE server"

under Preferences, Network: I get choices of what to fiddle with: Airport, Bluetooth, Built-in Ethernet, and Built-in FireWire

assuming the Airport card is the key, I have entered the "WiFi" router address 9-2 and the password, see the first two screens I attached, so obviously I am going down the wrong path

what is the step-by-step right way to do this? I can make more screen shots to show you what I am doing wrong, but feel it would be better to either start over, clearing out all the set-ups, or like a recent "Dilbert" cartoon panel, just go out and buy a new M-mini (except here the $499 unit, after taxes, but before delivery is about $750

your wisdom is greatly appreciated and your guidance will be followed as best I can

VTY

B3

Mar 3, 2015 3:55 AM in response to Buboo-JP

I knew you would ask that, so I have moved me and the MBP to the room where the M-mini is, side by side

what happens is a screen comes up that says, "the selected airport network requires a password to join." and I have 3 choices: WPA personal, WPA Enterprise (whatever that is) and 802.1X WEP (also an unknown) and below that a box where you can enter the password, which I input (on the back of the router there are the 3 networks 9-1, 2 and 3 and below that are the three passwords, each associated with each of the three network addresses

if I choose the second one (or third), input the password and try to connect, it tells me it can't find the PPPoE server

and when I try on another screen it asks for a password of EXACTLY - 64 hexadecimal characters and nowhere is that to be foundv

so now I just tried (for the first time) to choose the first one, the one that the MBP uses and find that with the first address and password,

IT LOGS ON (never thought to try that as I thought it would slow down the connection of the MBP)

will both computers on the one channel will either or both be slow? (a relative term with the old M-mini)

if you think you've helped, I'm so happy I could cry

I probably owe you one (or more)

VTY

B3

Mar 3, 2015 4:39 AM in response to Buboo-JP

There will be a slowdown only if both deices are access the internet at the same time. The same would apply if they were connected to another one of the three networks the router manages. Typically wifi speed is faster that the interent connection to your home.

The number of wifi arc you see is signal strength which does not directly correlate to speed. The speed of your MacBook was 145 "Transmit Rate". I looked at mine and it is 486

What do you see on yur Mini and now on the Macbook

Mar 3, 2015 4:51 AM in response to lllaass

the last speed test applet I had was in the USA from Comcast, doesn't seem to want to work here (wonder why!)

where do I find the "transfer rate", looked on Google, but the first couple of "calculators" seemed obtuse

no need to respond to me right now, it's almost 10:00pm and I need my sleep, too much an old man

I'll check back in the morning

B3

PS: do you get stars or something? where are you located to be up so late?

connect mac mini using 10.4.11 to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.