Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error: Apple Software Update server cannot be found

Last week I have not been able to update Apple software or download apps on PC, ipad or iphone

1. New Apple software update is available, but cannot download; error message - Apple Software server cannot be found
  2. When updating apps in i-tunes on Windows 7 PC. Repeated error message network timed out 3259.
  3. Have reinstalled I-tunes and have latest version (12.1), no issues accessing external websites and downloading content.
  4. Even tried disabling firewall and antivirus and still same error messages

Any ideas?

iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 8:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 7:20 AM

Hi Sarns28,

Thanks for the question. I understand that you are experiencing issues updating software and downloading applications from the iTunes Store. It also sounds like these issues are occur across multiple devices. Let’s take this step by step to see if we can isolate the issue further.

You stated that you received error 3259 when attempting to update apps from the iTunes Store. The following resource outlines troubleshooting information for this error message:

iTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203361

"Error -3259"

This alert is often the result of iTunes being blocked by firewalls on the computer.

1. Update to the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Try turning off your Firewall to see if the issue is resolved (this includes the built-in Firewall or a third-party Firewall such as Norton Personal Firewall, McAfee, Symantec, etc.). See iTunes: Music Sharing does not work if Firewall is on for steps if using Mac OS X.
  3. If there's no firewall or security software interference, try to remove proxy settings.

- Matt M.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 7:20 AM in response to Sarns28

Hi Sarns28,

Thanks for the question. I understand that you are experiencing issues updating software and downloading applications from the iTunes Store. It also sounds like these issues are occur across multiple devices. Let’s take this step by step to see if we can isolate the issue further.

You stated that you received error 3259 when attempting to update apps from the iTunes Store. The following resource outlines troubleshooting information for this error message:

iTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203361

"Error -3259"

This alert is often the result of iTunes being blocked by firewalls on the computer.

1. Update to the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Try turning off your Firewall to see if the issue is resolved (this includes the built-in Firewall or a third-party Firewall such as Norton Personal Firewall, McAfee, Symantec, etc.). See iTunes: Music Sharing does not work if Firewall is on for steps if using Mac OS X.
  3. If there's no firewall or security software interference, try to remove proxy settings.

- Matt M.

Mar 3, 2015 4:04 PM in response to Matt_M.

Hi Matt,

thanks for responding. I confirm I have the latest I-tunes installed, I have tried disabling Norton firewall and I still receive the same error message when attempting update apps. In terms of proxy - the box is not checked, and port 80 is defaulted.

So still experiencing the same issues, unable to update apps.

Sarns

Error: Apple Software Update server cannot be found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.