Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mag safe charger started small fire

ok so i got up to get a drink of water. i brought my mac book pro with me i came back to my bed and attempted to plug it in and i taped the end of the mag safe adapter to the corner of the back right of the mac book and it started a little fire and has a nought heat to bend it the corner a bit and inside the mag safe adapter is a little bit blackened

the charger in use is a 3rd party charger but me and my friend got the same charger at the same time from the same web sight and has never had this happen to him

I'm very sorry for my grammar i have dyslexia

thanks please leave help or expiation for this event. and if i should clean out and still use this charger.

thanks remiUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Thanks remi

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 13 inch

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 10:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 10:55 PM

The charger is highly damaged, so the best thing you can do in order to prevent any further issue is to recycle it. Respecting to the Mac itself, it looks like there are some damages, so I would recommend you to take it to an Apple Store or reseller to make sure it is safe to use it.

This type of things are often caused by a defective charger instead of a problem with the computer, but it could be.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2015 10:55 PM in response to Deww_

The charger is highly damaged, so the best thing you can do in order to prevent any further issue is to recycle it. Respecting to the Mac itself, it looks like there are some damages, so I would recommend you to take it to an Apple Store or reseller to make sure it is safe to use it.

This type of things are often caused by a defective charger instead of a problem with the computer, but it could be.

Feb 28, 2015 11:03 PM in response to Deww_

I would suggest that taping it to the machine is also not a good idea. The tape itself could have been responsible for excessive heat build-up at the connection point....

And using 3rd party chargers is never a good idea. Only use Apple or Apple authorized chargers. Anything else is really a crap-shoot, and can result not only in the situation you experienced, but in serious damage to you, your Mac, or both.

Cheers,

GB

mag safe charger started small fire

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.