Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to load OS and old programs onto new SSD?

So I've learned by late-2008 MBP can handle up to 8gb RAM, and a solid-state drive. This is exciting, as the computer has gone a bit buggy over the years, with new OS upgrades since I got it, it now boots slower, needs frequent restarts, &c.

So I will put the new 4 gb RAM sticks and the new SSD in myself, and load up Yosemite onto the new SSD…But…

1. How does one load an Apple OS onto a blank hard drive, these days? and,

2. Does anyone know a relatively painless way to recover my still-OK old software, without going out and buying it again, or without re-buying versions on eBay? For example, I use Logic 9.1.8, which is a totally fine program---I don't want to pay for a newer version---I downloaded it originally from the Apple store---but they don't seem to keep any record of purchases older than 18 months.

I don't want to just load an old Time Machine image, would like a fresh start.

So, two issues---wondering if anyone might have some notions here---

John in Houston

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 4 gb RAM

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 8:50 PM

1 reply

Feb 28, 2015 8:57 PM in response to vondoba

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. After you finish Setup Assistant will complete the installation after which

you will be running a fresh install of OS X. You can now begin the update process

by opening Software Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your

installation current.

5. If you are planning to sell or give your computer away, then do the following:

After you reformat your hard drive and reinstall OS X, the computer restarts to a

Welcome screen and asks you to choose a country or region. If you want to leave

the Mac in an out-of-box state, don't continue with the setup of your system. Instead,

press Command-Q to shut down the Mac. When the new owner turns on the Mac,

the Setup Assistant will guide them through the setup process.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1. Download Yosemite, unless you have the Mountain Lion installer handy, and install it.

As for your old software you can install it from original media, if you have it. You can re-download software purchased on the App Store. But as for old versions running with Yosemite, see App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

How to load OS and old programs onto new SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.