Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorry for Wrong Community But...................

Sorry I'm in the wrong place but I can't ask a question in any other community for some reason. Has been driving me nuts for half an hour!!!!

'Tis a simple thing and I ask for your indulgence.

What am I doing wrong on my 20 month old Mac Pro because it just refuses to download at anything other than a pathetic pace using Safari.

I am running Bootcamp and using all the same devices and connections in Windows and have absolutely no problems. I must have some thing set wrong.

Safari seems to be the only identifiable difference and it can't be meant to be this pathetic.

Is there anyway to stop Safari being the default downloader and get iGetter for Mac or something?

User uploaded file

Thanks

<Personal Information Removed by Host

Mac Pro, Windows 7, Mac Pro 5,1

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 10:47 PM

2 replies

Mar 1, 2015 1:58 AM in response to NotAppleSupportGuy

The browser may have had a close-encounter with some adware or other exploit

due to visiting sites and clicking on content, or at some previous time, having

visited a page that may have offered free bad software. adware malware & etc.

•Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

If you'd installed any of the items mentioned in the above linked page, or have symptoms

of their presence, they need to be addressed. You can start Safari in a mode where the

extensions or add-ons are turned off, then you can see about removing them. And others.

You could see a site by name of TheSafeMac and read the sections on Tech Guides

and note there are three, for adware malware & performance. Also there is a link in the

right side of the page to get the Adware Medic adware removal tool. Or use the manual

methods as described in the Adware Removal Guide in the main page content below:

•The Safe Mac - Tech Guides:

http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-guides/

You could get & try the etrecheck report creation tool to see what may be acting up

in your computer, in a superficial way, and re-post the report to a discussions area.

Etrecheck: http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck_story

This probably is the nature of the topic you have posted. Where you can't change the

search engine in safari and other oddities have occurred that were not original features.

If it somehow that happens to not be the case (rare but possible) the method to choose

a different default browser in general, is to use Safari Preferences and choose another

such as Firefox, as the default. Then the other one will launch as system default. This

action would not remove adware, malware, or other maladies, nor prevent them.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Mar 1, 2015 1:57 AM in response to NotAppleSupportGuy

Just what do yo mean by "What am I doing wrong on my 20 month old Mac Pro because it just refuses to download at anything other than a pathetic pace using Safari."?

Does it download stuff or not? How slow is slow?

Does the Mac App Store download stuff OK?

What does bootcamp have to do with it? Are yu Safari on Windows i bootcamp?

Are yo connected via wifi or Ethernet?

Sorry for Wrong Community But...................

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.