Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Used 2006 Mac Mini. Need to format HD without having administrator permissions

My friend bought a bunch of these mac mini's and we want to convert one to use in a sound booth. I get the log in screen where it asks for 'Joe' and another name to log in or Guest. We need to just wipe out this HD and have need to see what they have on there. I have an external drive with Snow Leopard ready to install. Is there a way to do this easily and quickly? I can't seem to get to Dic Utility without administrator permissions..

Thanks

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 10:16 PM

2 replies

Mar 1, 2015 2:11 AM in response to kurtis500

You should be able to start the computer from a retail OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard installer

(unless the computers came with a later version of Snow Leopard 10.6 on DVD install disc)

and then use it to erase and install a completely new system. You can use Disk Utility to

secure erase (one or more passes) before installing. The format and partitioning setup

would totally eradicate the original owner information from the computer.

Unless there was a File Vault or secure encrypted

hard disk drive requiring password to access.

There are a few secure methods or devices built into the OS X that can put a firmware

block on the computer, so even swapping a hard drive out may not allow access. Some

may require physical access to remove one of the memory chips to reset access.

Use original install-restore DVD software kit that shipped with the computer, or a retail

DVD version of Snow Leopard more recent than any version of 10.6 that may have been

installed on the computer, since you cannot install & run an OS X older than the one it

had on it when new (under most circumstances) -- so if you have that DVD, hold the C

key down on startup for quite a period of time until the Installer loads in the desktop.

Not sure how much experience you have, and the time here/now is late. Post back if

you find another issue; someone may see the thread & reply with more information.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

edited 2x

Used 2006 Mac Mini. Need to format HD without having administrator permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.