Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete photos on iphone 5c IOS 8 without losing them on my mac - it used to be so easy with camera roll and photo stream!

It used to be so simple to free up space on iPhone - With camera roll and photo stream - I want to free up space on my phone and whenever I delete a photo from anywhere on the phone it says it will delete from all devices.

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.1.3, photos

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 4:09 AM

It used to be so simple to free up space on iPhone - With camera roll and photo stream - I want to free up space on my phone and whenever I delete a photo from anywhere on the phone it says it will delete from all devices.

This looks like you enabled iCloud Photo Library (Beta) in your Settings > Photo & Camera. With iCloud Photo Library (Beta) enabled, your photos are not actually stored on your iPhone, they are stored in iCloud, and then deleting them on your iPhone or any device will delete them from iCloud and consequently from all your devices that are using iCloud Photo Library (Beta). If you want to store your photos in iCloud, you can only save space by using the option "optimize storage". Then the iPhone will not download the full versions of the photos, but only smaller previews and save space.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 4:09 AM in response to IOS8confused

This looks like you enabled iCloud Photo Library (Beta) in your Settings > Photo & Camera. With iCloud Photo Library (Beta) enabled, your photos are not actually stored on your iPhone, they are stored in iCloud, and then deleting them on your iPhone or any device will delete them from iCloud and consequently from all your devices that are using iCloud Photo Library (Beta). If you want to store your photos in iCloud, you can only save space by using the option "optimize storage". Then the iPhone will not download the full versions of the photos, but only smaller previews and save space.

Mar 1, 2015 4:32 AM in response to IOS8confused

. And are they stored on my mac as full size? If I turn off iCloud will I lose them on the iMac. Starting to wish I had stayed away from Apple p[roduct.

How did you transfer the photos to your Mac? Did you download using USB or My Photo Stream?

If Photo Stream - did you enable the option "Automatic Import" in your iPhoto Preferences > iCloud and are you seeing your photos in monthly events "Apr 2014 Photo Stream" or similar?

User uploaded file

If your photos are in auto imported monthly events, then deleting them from the iPhone will delete them from iPhone and Photo Stream, but not from the events you imported automatically to iPhoto or Aperture. Without automatic import, if you are only seeing the photos in "My Photo Stream", don't delete them, before you saved the photos from My Photo Stream to an event in iPhoto.User uploaded file

Mar 1, 2015 5:15 AM in response to IOS8confused

OK thank you so much - luckily automatic import is on in iCloud - so is i-cloud the equivalent of photo stream now in IOS 8.13 - would you know?

iCloud Photo Library will replace Photo Stream. The problem is, that iOS8 is ahead of MacOS 10.10. and only the Beta testers can use iCloud Photo Library on the Mac right now. The transition is a bit awkward right now, because Photo on your Mac cannot yet access the photos in iCloud Photo Library, only in the Photo Streams.it will be much easier in a few months, when the new Photos.app for the Mac will make your photo library on the Mac exactly like on your iPhone. My Photo Stream did not store your photos permanently, it just streamed the photos to all devices for downloading. iCloud Photo Library will be the central storage of your photos in iCloud.

Here is one information on iCloud Photo Library: iCloud Photo Library beta FAQ

May 31, 2015 9:32 AM in response to IOS8confused

This still seems messed up to me, now the end of May 2015 using Photos v1.0 and iOS 8.3. It used to be when I imported my photos from iOS to Mac, I could select to delete them from the phone as part of the import process. No when I plug in my phone the photos appear to already be imported so I cannot deleted them automatically, I have to delete them manually. OK, but when I do that they are deleted from the photo stream as well. OK, SO I get it that Apple is forcing us into iCloud Photo Storage sharing and they obviously and making the photo stream of the last 1,000 photos inept or I have to keep the photos on my phone and take up more space making the photo stream a duplicate. This is messed up. Of course I have a ton of photos and of course I will have to now pay to have my sharing set up. As an alternative I suggest that Apple should let the last 1,000 photos be a free service and like before allow the photos to be deleted from the phone as part of the import process without deleting them from iCloud. I might be that Apple could simple put the "delete photos from iPhone on import" that currently is placed upper right when the phone is plugged in, as part of the preferences so that this automatic import could live as is, but whenever the phone is synced it would automatically remove them from only the phone, not the stream or the computer. I do believe that if I delete the photo from my Mac Photos App, it should be removed everywhere, stream and iCloud Sharing, and that if I modify my image the modified version should appear in Photo Stream and iCloud Sharing though the original is still stored, at least on my Local Mac. Thank you.

Jun 11, 2015 12:08 PM in response to IOS8confused

Agreed. The new UX is confusing and poorly organized.

I used to download photos from my iPhone to desktop, then elect to delete photos from the phone so as to free up space.

I have no interest in either the expense nor the supposed "convenience" of paying to store photos that I own on iCloud. So it seems I no longer have control over my own files using Apple equipment.

To make matters worse, the new iPhoto has absorbed some horrible UX changes (simple editing and printing has become a multi-click pain in the ***) and Photos is no better.

I'm hoping Apple QA is taking note and working to rectify. The current setup is unusable.

How do I delete photos on iphone 5c IOS 8 without losing them on my mac - it used to be so easy with camera roll and photo stream!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.