Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 24" cinema display dimmed (back light output halved)

In the middle of working my Cinema Displays ( A 2008 24" LED version) just dimmed.

I can still read what is on screen, it's just the backlight's output that has been halved.

This has happened before, and then the display recovered after a while. But this is annoying. Am I looking at needing to replace it? Or is there something I can do?

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 1:34 AM

1 reply

Mar 11, 2015 5:59 AM in response to K_V_B

Hi there,

I've had same problem with mine last couple of months. Sometimes it goes all black and sometimes it just dimm. When it goes all black I've got the signal back by disconnecting, connecting the Mini-display cable back-and-forth. It seems to work better if the Magsafe and USB cable are unplugged first.

Last time my screen dimmed I managed to get the full brightness back by first adjusting the brightness to lowest value. After that I disconnected the main power-supply cable. After a few seconds I re-connected the power-supply cable and adjusted the brightness back to max. When increasing the brightness the screen flickred a few times and suddenly it worked like it should again.

Give it a go! 🙂

My 24" cinema display dimmed (back light output halved)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.