Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't switch back to my old iPhoto library - iPhoto 9.5.1

Hi everyone!

Yesterday I had a problem with my iPhoto library and inadvertently created a new one. I am unable to switch back to the old one although I can see it when I choose the 'Other library' option. How can I access the old one? When I search for photos using the general computer search function I can find them, so I think (and hope) they are all still there. However, I just can't access them. I'm using version 9.5.1 on an iMac. I'd be very grateful if someone could help me restore the old library as default and access my photos.

I think there was a problem with the database or something similar before all this happened. However, I don't remember the exact message that appeared on the screen.

Many thanks in advance!

CarmenEnxaneta9

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), iPhoto 9.5.1

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 1:35 AM

4 replies

Mar 1, 2015 4:31 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi!

Many thanks for your reply. When I double click on the old library nothing happens. It doesn't even show on the list of libraries when I try to switch - I have to click on 'Other library' in order to see it. Do you think I should try to import the contents of the old library into the new one? I don't even know if it's possible and am scared to do something that might damage the photos.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Mar 1, 2015 6:14 AM in response to CarmenEnxaneta9

First thing: make a back up.

It sounds like that library is corrupted.

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Mar 1, 2015 9:43 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you so much for your reply. I have backed up the whole library - copied it onto an external hard disc. Now I'm going to try to repair the database.

When you say that it will create a new library - I imagine it does this in the same way with the library manager as without it. Anyway, I hope the repair database works first an that holding down the command and option keys let me access the 'hidden' library. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you once again!

I can't switch back to my old iPhoto library - iPhoto 9.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.