Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting AKAI EWI 4000s to my MAC

I have just got an AKAI 4000s EWI.

I know nothing about setting it up but see lots of video's and articles with people using one with an iPad/PC/MAC Garageband etc. etc. but as yet I can't find any specifics on the actual setting up and what is required.

Every article works on the assumption that one knows a certain amount about 'midi's' computers etc.

so, my question is, I've got the MAC, I've got the EWI, I've got Garageband [latest] how do I connect them so i can use and hear the EWI through the MAC using Garageband. What equipment, leads, hardware, do I need?

thanks for any help given. Peter 'frustrated'

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 5:28 AM

There are two ways to connect to your mac each have different features. First you can record the instruments sound by simply plugging the Line/headphone output into the Mac's audio input..

You can also send a Midi signal to the Mac and use it to play garageband's software instruments. For this you will need a Midi interface. This will let you plug the Midi out of the EWI into the interface and plug the interfaces usb to the Mac.

Once connected you start garageband and choose a audio track or a Midi track depending how you're connected.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 5:28 AM in response to expromuso

There are two ways to connect to your mac each have different features. First you can record the instruments sound by simply plugging the Line/headphone output into the Mac's audio input..

You can also send a Midi signal to the Mac and use it to play garageband's software instruments. For this you will need a Midi interface. This will let you plug the Midi out of the EWI into the interface and plug the interfaces usb to the Mac.

Once connected you start garageband and choose a audio track or a Midi track depending how you're connected.

Mar 1, 2015 5:43 AM in response to expromuso

Thank you so much for your fast and very helpful reply.

I've seen midi interfaces for sale so looks like thats the way I'm going to have to go.

But I've also just seen a connection/converter on eBay, basically a USB + 2 x midi connecters, does this do the same job?

Assuming you know what your talking about, what would you do?

I, ideally want to put the EWI through the MAC, hear it, play along with stuff already on there, possibly record and also use some of the midi voices on Garage band.

I'm getting closer and with your help I think I'm almost there.

thanks for anything relevant.

Peter

Mar 1, 2015 6:19 AM in response to expromuso

What I would do is get a Audio/Midi interface and be ready for any kind of input, Midi, Mic and instrument. But if all you think you will ever need is a Midi interface then just get a Midi interface. But you need to buy one that has support in case something goes wrong. Go to a local music store or call one of the big guys like Sweetwater or Musicians Friend. Tell them what you're looking for and buy from them this way you get quality gear and someone to call if something doesn't work.

connecting AKAI EWI 4000s to my MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.