Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert Text to Table in Pages 5?

I've just acquired my new MBP 15" Retina and trying to pick up where I left off using a Late 2011 MBP-13 running OSX 10.7.5 and Pages '09. I am actively comparing Pages 5 with the previous version, having already found out that my specially designed tabloid-size documents will NOT work in Pages 5 because they require text flow between blocks in the page layout mode.

Now I"m trying to convert tab-delimited text into a table, but strangely, I can't find this function. Can someone help out?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 5:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 5:55 AM

You are learning of the 100+ missing features in Pages 5.5.2, one by one.

Pages '09 should still be in your Applications/iWork folder, use that.

Peter

8 replies

Mar 1, 2015 6:33 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Yes, Peter, I'm learning about them, but has Apple noted the discussion threads here, particularly the ones you seem to have cataloged? Maybe my exercise should be one of prioritizing the list of missing features.

BTW, have you or anyone actually listed the 100+ features, and can you point me to the link? I've read some of the threads on http://www.mac4mac.co.uk regarding the missing features, but other searches have revealed zilch.

Ronn

Mar 1, 2015 7:17 AM in response to iRon_Mrx

Hi iRon_Mrx,

Now I"m trying to convert tab-delimited text into a table, but strangely, I can't find this function. Can someone help out?

Some tab-delimited text in Pages 5.5.2

I have turned on Show Invisibles.

Select the text and Copy.

User uploaded file

Click away and type enter (as many times as you want)

User uploaded file

Insert a table (leave it as Move With Text for this example).

Single click in cell A1 (or wherever).

Paste.

User uploaded file

Now clean up.

Regards,

Ian.

Mar 1, 2015 8:39 AM in response to iRon_Mrx

iRon_Mrx wrote:

have you or anyone actually listed the 100+ features...

Yes hundreds of times, but given it is now 16 months since Apple dumped Pages '09 for Pages 5 and nothing much has changed, what is the point?

Either put up with Pages 5.5.2, use Pages '09, or switch to something else. Apple is not going to wave some magic wand and make it all go away.

Peter

Mar 1, 2015 10:48 AM in response to iRon_Mrx

Thank you YellowBox, Viking, and again, Peter.

Unfortunately, copying and pasting the tab delimited text is only marginally helpful compared with the feature of "Convert Text to Table," AND not having the feature forces restricts work flow. (We now have the extra set of steps to create a table cut/copy tabbed text, and paste it into a table that may or may not have the same alignment of columns and rows.) I take it from your answers (YellowBox and Viking) that the new table will automatically add rows and columns for each TAB occurrence. I hope I'm not being too optimistic!

As we all know, using a Mac is supposed to allow us to work smarter, meaning using a tool that more closely matches the "Think Different" imaginations that created the Macintosh to begin with — (are you reading this, Tim Cook?) It wouldn't affect the Pages development division's bottom line to keep the 100+ features they've taken away and build on them until...they have an application that might evenutally generate it's own revenue stream (ala Final Cut Pro, et. al.) It's the SAME business model Jobs and Team used when they included apps like MacPaint, AppleWorks, and HyperCard in the standard installation.

The beacon is shining, Apple, follow it, don't dim it! Restore the "missing features of Pages '09" and show your users the love we deserve!

Convert Text to Table in Pages 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.