Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set up used iPhone 5s without wifi or a computer

I am giving my current 5s to a friend when I visit Thailand soon. They live in an area where the wifi is very slow and unreliable, cutting out frequently neither do they have a computer so I am seeking advice here:

Rather than try to set up the phone as new until they are able to be in an area with good wifi will the following work?

I sign out of find my phone', sign out of iTunes and remove the phone from iCloud by going to icloud.com.

The person I give it to signs into iTunes, enables Find my phone and enables contacts in icloud on the phone to sync with his iCloud account.

Can you see any difficulties with this method? If so any alternative suggestions as to how to set the phone up without the need for wifi or without a computer would be appreciated.

iPod touch, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 6:16 AM

Whatever the case, you should do this, which includes completely erasing the iPhone. It will save you headaches in the future.

What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Theoretically, you could then set up the phone for them when you are in an area that has good wifi. You could also use cel data to connect to the internet. You have not said whether cel data is reliable where your friend lives.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 6:16 AM in response to dankton12

Whatever the case, you should do this, which includes completely erasing the iPhone. It will save you headaches in the future.

What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Theoretically, you could then set up the phone for them when you are in an area that has good wifi. You could also use cel data to connect to the internet. You have not said whether cel data is reliable where your friend lives.

Mar 1, 2015 6:23 AM in response to FelipeV

I am aware that the ideal way is to completely erase the phone and start from scratch and this will be done when they can get a reliable wifi connection.

Unfortunately they are in a village where even reliable 2G is considered a luxury, so the idea is to try and at least get the phone working for them as they will not be able to resist the temptation to use of for a month before they can get to a good wifi connection.

Mar 1, 2015 6:37 AM in response to dankton12

You have been given correct guidance by Felipe which ensure YOU have no further issues with the old iPhone

If you claim to know what to do what exactly are you asking ,since you will only get the same guidance from any of us here

Give your friend the iPhone set up as new and they can do exactly as you appear to want therm to do in setting up and the iPhone should work as an iPhone

Make sure they have access to an valid nano sim

Mar 1, 2015 6:46 AM in response to dankton12

dankton12 wrote:

I am aware that the ideal way is to completely erase the phone and start from scratch and this will be done when they can get a reliable wifi connection.

Again. If you leave the phone as is, it will be MORE of a headache. If I were you, I would follow the steps in the KB article and then create an Apple ID for your friend with a temporary password. That way there will not be any "collateral effects" if your friend is unable "to resist the temptation to use" the iPhone.

I would do this BEFORE you give your friend the phone. In any case its your call, as you will have to live with the consequences.

Set up used iPhone 5s without wifi or a computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.