Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted Your Private Folder? Here's How I Fixed Mine

Firstly, my apologies if posts like this aren't allowed on the discussion board.

So like a few people on the forums, I accidentally deleted my Private folder trying to create extra storage space. Through searching on forums and attempting to use terminal, I had no luck fixing my mac. Eventually, I ended up trying out my own method which I'd like to share incase this happens to anyone in the future.

1. I booted my Macbook using Command + R and found that Mavericks is unable to be re-downloaded due to Yosemite being released, so I created a partition on my Mac, and using my OS Disc that came with my Macbook, booted Snow Leopard onto the partition.
2. Upon completion, I started up my mac using the partition as the start up disk and was able to access my other partition to copy all my important files onto an external hard drive.

3. Having copied everything over, I re-booted the mac using Command + R and erased my hard drive completely, using the OS Disc as my start up disk, I re installed Snow Leopard onto my mac.
4. After running all the updates and downloading OS Yosemite, I was able to copy my files back from my hard drive onto my mac!

I hope this helps anyone who encounters this problem in the future, my Macbook is now running smoother than ever with a fresh install of Yosemite!all

C

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 4:56 AM

There are no replies.

Deleted Your Private Folder? Here's How I Fixed Mine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.