Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can too much memory lead to a kernel panic on a MacBook Pro? specs 2.4GHz intel core i7 16GB DDR3 RAM late2011..My laptop began suffering from kernel panics 3 mos ago first noticed using public wifi. Gone thru apple support all the way to engineers

Can too much RAM memory in a late 2011 model macbook pro lead to kernel panic? That is what I was told by a senior supervisor from apple support who troubleshot this issue.First noticed this problem in Dec 2014 while using a private wifi at a relative's home. Did not occur again until Feb1 using a public wifi at a hotel. Never happened on my private wifi network until last night attempting to use airplay. ( have used airplay before without issue). Late 2011 MacBook Pro running 10.9.5; 2.4 GHz Intel core i7, 16 GB DDR3,AMD Radeon HD 6770m 1024 MB graphic card. The laptop came with 8GB RAM and I installed 8 GB about 2 years ago for some reason I cannot remember... probably because I thought the system was slowing down a little. I know that sounds silly. I do not run multiple programs at a time except I leave 6-8 website tabs open simultaneously. I don't photo or video edit. I would describe my use as "light" based on reading these blogs.I had purchased apple support and spent hours on the phone with them in early Feb moving up through support and senior support to sending logs to the "engineers." Of course lots of things were done some of which I am sorry to report I cannot recall their technical definitions. Deleted 3rd party apps/programs; re-worked start up menu; re-installed operating system; reset " this, that and the other" using acrobatic simultaneous key strokes both in and out of safe mode..Anyway the results from the engineers came back and they suggested that if it happened again I was to remove the 8GB of RAM I had installed as the system was getting confused as to which chip to use.( that is my interpretation of what was said..prob dumbed down for me)...Anyway 1 day after these pronouncements came down I read that Apple had agreed to fix graphics cards in some late model 2011 MBPs. I felt this was unlikely to be the issue given all that had been done including an extended hardware test but called the Senior Support Supervisor I was working with to ask him to make sure. He never phoned me back. Should I go to the trouble of removing 8GB of RAM from my laptop? Of course I will try it as the alternative is a new computer.Blogs read that this model can support 16GB but Apple didn't test for it. Senior Supervisor claims this is my trouble. Does that make sense? Not to me....but it is clear to all my level of knowledge. Can a malfunctioning graphics card be missed by an extended hardware test? I appreciate comments.

macbookpro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 5:15 AM

3 replies

Mar 1, 2015 5:22 AM in response to bookersolid

According to Apple's specifications, the maximum RAM capacity is 8 GB. It's been found that using "the right RAM" will allow the system to recognize up to 16GB.

What they told you makes sense. Remove the additional RAM you installed and see if the problem continues. MACs are notoriously picky about RAM. The additional RAM you installed may be failing. It may have been marginal all along and you didn't notice it until now because you haven't pushed it that hard.

can too much memory lead to a kernel panic on a MacBook Pro? specs 2.4GHz intel core i7 16GB DDR3 RAM late2011..My laptop began suffering from kernel panics 3 mos ago first noticed using public wifi. Gone thru apple support all the way to engineers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.