Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

self authored books in iBooks

I have written a number of books and turned them into ePubs which I have dropped into iBooks on my MacBook - they show up here, and I can read them, but they don't sync with my other devices i.e. iPad and iPhone. Shop bought books show up on all devices but ones I add myself sometimes do and sometimes don't, or sometimes show up a couple of weeks later. How can I get books to sync immediately and reliably. It seems a bit ironic that Apple is always encouraging people to be creative with their Macs but when I write a book and try to get it into iBooks it won't sync and all the guidance is about syncing bought books from iTunes.

iPad, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 7:57 AM

If you want them on your iPad and/or iPhone then you will have to sync them via your Mac's iTunes : connect the device to your Mac, select it in iTunes, select its Books tab (that should show all of the books and PDFs in your Mac's iBooks app), and select and sync the epubs to it.

Only ibooks bought from the iBookstore will potentially automatically show in the iBooks apps on your iPhone and/or iPad (not all ibooks from the store are compatible with iPhones)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 7:57 AM in response to marinap15

If you want them on your iPad and/or iPhone then you will have to sync them via your Mac's iTunes : connect the device to your Mac, select it in iTunes, select its Books tab (that should show all of the books and PDFs in your Mac's iBooks app), and select and sync the epubs to it.

Only ibooks bought from the iBookstore will potentially automatically show in the iBooks apps on your iPhone and/or iPad (not all ibooks from the store are compatible with iPhones)

Mar 1, 2015 12:12 PM in response to marinap15

They should show immediately. With an iPad connected to my Mac and its Books tab selected in iTunes, I've just tried it by adding an ePub to iBooks on my Mac, and it showed immediately on the tab for selecting and syncing to my iPad.

Whether it will take longer if you have a large library in iBooks (I have about 40 books/PDFs) or if the epubs are large I don't know

self authored books in iBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.