Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo and video count in itunes don't agree with phone

In iTunes, our iPhone 5s (running 8.1.3, but this has been going on for a little while) shows 1800 "extra" photos in the status bar at the base of the general screen to the tune of almost 6GB, however, there are no photos on the phone (neither in the photo album or the recently deleted photos album) - when I go into general settings on the iPhone, it also shows the photos (and 27 videos, which also aren't there) as being on the phone (it just says "1785" in the photos listing and "27" in videos) - however, it also shows the correct amount of free space, both on the phone itself, as well as in iTunes (the phone is a 16GB phone, and has 10 GB free, then 2-3GB in other entries, then has this big part of the bar that shows as photos for another 6GB (so the total on that status bar is greater than the storage space on the phone by the amount of "missing" pictures)

I have tried backing up then doing a restore on the phone, but then when I recover from the backup, it's still messed up. I am guessing there is a database that is corrupt somewhere or something, but have no idea how to fix it. Has anyone run into this before?

I have also tried backing the device up to the cloud (no change), syncing the photos locally, then undoing that (no change), rebooting the phone (reset holding the power and home button until the apple logo shows up) (no change), as well as doing the restore, followed by recovering from a backup (no change)

Everything else seems to work properly (reports the amount of free space correctly, when I take a few pictures, they show up properly, etc.)

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 9:11 PM

Found the problem file - to remove all the photos (including the ghost ones that don't seem to exist) you need to delete the 10#APPLE subfolder that holds the photos you do have (it's under DCIM) then go into PhotoData and delete the file "Photos.sqlite" (there were several versions which had that filename plus some extra stuff, I just deleted that one file) - you obviously need to use a file manager other than itunes to do this - I used ifunbox, but the instructions I found were on the iexplorer website.

Now everything is reporting correctly on the phone and in iTunes.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 9:11 PM in response to 12DrD21

Found the problem file - to remove all the photos (including the ghost ones that don't seem to exist) you need to delete the 10#APPLE subfolder that holds the photos you do have (it's under DCIM) then go into PhotoData and delete the file "Photos.sqlite" (there were several versions which had that filename plus some extra stuff, I just deleted that one file) - you obviously need to use a file manager other than itunes to do this - I used ifunbox, but the instructions I found were on the iexplorer website.

Now everything is reporting correctly on the phone and in iTunes.

Photo and video count in itunes don't agree with phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.