Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change scanner default setting.

I just installed a new printer/scanner (hp Envy 7640). Every item I scan is opened by Adobe Reader, by default, even scans of photos, so the format is always pdf. I need the format to be JPEG so it can be read by iPhoto. With my previous scanner on the same mac, all documents and photos would be opened by Image Capture, presumably be default. That worked best for what I do. How can I reset the scanner default to Image Capture? My OSX is Mountain Lion 10.8.5.

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 8:43 AM

Have you tried opening Image Capture and initiating the scan from the computer?

3 replies

Mar 11, 2015 5:26 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your response. Sorry for the delay.

I knew about the Image Capture route but was hoping to have all scans automatically opened by Image Capture (as before) without the extra step of opening it separately.

I really dislike Adobe Reader although I have no choice but to use it for most documents sent to me. I'm not sure how it became the default for the scanner.

I see that someone else had a similar question and the answer was to go through Image Capture, so I guess that'll have to do.

How can I change scanner default setting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.