Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme/Express with FiOS and MoCa

I am looking for an advanced networking guru to assist with this issue.

I currently have a FiOs Modem/Router combo unit that is being used with MoCa for my TiVo DVR. I have an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express also connected to the FiOs Router since I need them in order to extend the Wifi signal to the entire house. The FiOs Router is handing out addresses to the Tivo Via MoCa and to the Extreme via wired connection. The peripherals (iPad, Mac, iPhone) that are wirelessly communicating via the wifi network are not being 'seen' by the TiVo because the Tivo is on the FiOs network and the others are on the Extreme/express wifi network.

Is there a way to consolidate these two networks so that they are all able to communicate with each other? I remember trying to use the 'bridge' function when I initially set this up about 2 years ago and for some reason the devices did not work properly together. Might I have been doing something fundamentally wrong?

In case you are wondering...When I change my iPad, iPhone, to the FiOs network, they are able to communicate with the TiVo (connected via MoCa) but the signal is way too low so I have to extend...

Cynthia

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 8:07 AM

It sounds like it does actually work.

But I think you have the AE plugged into the FIOS and then Extended by the Express (I am guessing) running in router mode not bridge.

I remember trying to use the 'bridge' function when I initially set this up about 2 years ago and for some reason the devices did not work properly together. Might I have been doing something fundamentally wrong?

Well wrong at least .. as you are now double NAT and that introduces issues..

Please start again.. the AE must be in bridge.

If it does not work in bridge I suspect you simply have not done a reboot of the entire network to clear out the settings.

Start over.. reset the AE to factory. Redo its setup.

It has to be in bridge mode.. ie

User uploaded file

You also must create a wireless network.. not extend at least in the Extreme.. the Express can extend from extreme.

User uploaded file

Then shutdown the entire network.. every single item.. restart in this order.

1. FIOS modem/router

2. AExtreme.

3. MoCa (if these are powered.. I don't know them)

4. Express and DVR

5. Other clients.

Two minutes gap between every restart..

The clients on the Airports are then on the same network as the DVR.. however there can still be issues with domain.. but try that as a start.

Then test.. open a terminal and use ping.

Ping the IP of the DVR from a wireless client on the AE and it should work.. if not give me full IP address info of everything on the network.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2015 8:07 AM in response to DrCynthia

It sounds like it does actually work.

But I think you have the AE plugged into the FIOS and then Extended by the Express (I am guessing) running in router mode not bridge.

I remember trying to use the 'bridge' function when I initially set this up about 2 years ago and for some reason the devices did not work properly together. Might I have been doing something fundamentally wrong?

Well wrong at least .. as you are now double NAT and that introduces issues..

Please start again.. the AE must be in bridge.

If it does not work in bridge I suspect you simply have not done a reboot of the entire network to clear out the settings.

Start over.. reset the AE to factory. Redo its setup.

It has to be in bridge mode.. ie

User uploaded file

You also must create a wireless network.. not extend at least in the Extreme.. the Express can extend from extreme.

User uploaded file

Then shutdown the entire network.. every single item.. restart in this order.

1. FIOS modem/router

2. AExtreme.

3. MoCa (if these are powered.. I don't know them)

4. Express and DVR

5. Other clients.

Two minutes gap between every restart..

The clients on the Airports are then on the same network as the DVR.. however there can still be issues with domain.. but try that as a start.

Then test.. open a terminal and use ping.

Ping the IP of the DVR from a wireless client on the AE and it should work.. if not give me full IP address info of everything on the network.

Airport Extreme/Express with FiOS and MoCa

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.