Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wd my passport pro thunderbolt 2tb not recognized

wd my passport pro thunderbolt 2tb isn't recognized and not working on my MacBook pro retina late 2012,

How can????

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 8:12 AM

8 replies

Mar 2, 2015 10:50 AM in response to rajrob

Hello rajrob,

If your external drive is not being recognized by the MacBook Pro, here are a couple of things you can try. First, shut down the computer. Then unplug the external drive. Turn the computer back on, wait a few minutes, and then plug the external drive back in. Sometimes this simple act of restarting resolves issues like this.

If the external drive is still not recognized, use Disk Utility (found in the Applications folder) to check the drive.

Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203176

Use these steps to use the Disk Utility app to verify or repair a disk.

1. Open Disk Utility
  2. Click the First Aid tab.
  3. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
  4. Select your external drive
  5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201639

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Mar 2, 2015 11:40 AM in response to judysings

it doesn't show up in disk utility , because the drive only has a connection with thunderbolt ,and when i'm looking at system preferences it says no device connected.under thunderbolt.

but today i returned my drive and I ordered a new one , because today i went to an apple dealer and i tried to connect the drive to another latest macbook with thunderbolt ports2 , but the same problem over there.

so I think it's a drive issue.

i'm waiting for the new drive and let you know if this was the problem.

thnx

Feb 2, 2016 8:01 AM in response to rajrob

Mine is starting to behave like that now after several years of usage without any issues with OS X 10.11. I wonder if it is related to voltage on the Thunderbolt port and El Capitan. Yesterday when the battery of the rMBP was already low, connecting the Thunderbolt drive completely brought the computer down.

Otherwise it might be that one of the drives is starting to fail.

wd my passport pro thunderbolt 2tb not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.