Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up old iphone without cellular? Need Apple ID?

How can I set up my old iphone 4 for my spouse so that its all ready to smoothly switch over when his old blackberry dies? I know I must deactivate it from my icloud first but how do I get an apple ID for him without a cell number? My old sim card is still in it. Does he need a new sim to just set it up? It would save sooooo much time to have apps, music his contacts icloud and apple ID, etc. already on the iphone. tks

iPhone 4

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 9:27 AM

Create and start using an Apple ID - Apple Support

and all Apps and iTunes items purchased are locked to the Apple id used to purchase them

He will need a new iPhone sim of the correct size and have his carrier transfer the number to the new sim from the BB sim

and see this as a check list

What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 9:27 AM in response to Lucindao

Create and start using an Apple ID - Apple Support

and all Apps and iTunes items purchased are locked to the Apple id used to purchase them

He will need a new iPhone sim of the correct size and have his carrier transfer the number to the new sim from the BB sim

and see this as a check list

What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Mar 1, 2015 9:59 AM in response to wegras

Thank you kindly for the info.

Question: So I need to remove my Sim before I can add contacts, etc to the cell?

And...Does he need the new sim card before I can add all his contacts, etc or can this be done without a sim card?

Can you get a sim card without a cell number?

Can I get it from Apple?

Also...Does that mean with an apple ID he will automatically have an icloud account too?

Tks. again

Mar 1, 2015 10:15 AM in response to Lucindao

The sim does not store any data or information on the iPhone it is all held on the iPhone

Sim is irrelevant to adding anything it is only required to actually activate the iPhone once restored as new and of course to operate as a cellular phone

Sim cards by definition come from the carrier with a number .That can be changed by the current BB carrier to new sim ,as long as it was supplied by them

Apple id is the iCloud ,iTunes ,iEverything one stop id for use in and around Apple and it's devices

Apple are not a Carrier, sims must come from the current carrier powering the BB if you want to retain the same telephone number

Follow the process outlined in the link I posted above to ensure you not have enduring issues with your Apple id and your new iPhone and it's use

Mar 1, 2015 10:29 AM in response to wegras

Thank you I will!

So if I am correct I will enter all the contact data and download all the apps to the old iphone 4 after first:

1)removing sim

2)deactivating old iphone from my account and

3)setting up a new Apple ID and account for my husband.

When my husbands Blackberry dies, I will then go out and get a new sim from our carrier and put it in the old iphone 4 and it should be ready to go?

Just to be sure..... Adding a new sim with the cell carrier won't delete all the data I've already entered???

Thank you,

Lucinda

Mar 1, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Lucindao

Two different Apple ids cannot use the same purchases on different iPhones

You just follow ,in detail the instructions in the What to do before giving away document above

The iPhone is then set up as if new

You insert any sim that fits to activate the iPhone using new Apple id remove sim until you need to use as a cellular phone

You cannot then add ANY purchases made with your Apple id they are locked to your id and in use on your new iPhone

The sim has NO effect in any way on what ever is loaded on the iPhone

Mar 1, 2015 1:34 PM in response to wegras

I do understand what you are saying... I just wondered if ....when I got the new sim put in with the BB cell number, will I have to reactivate/re-setup the phone and possibly lose all the stuff I have loaded on it or if I can just stick it in and go on as if nothing has changed? Perhaps I can backup everything to the cloud? He has soooo many contacts and photos on his BB and of course I want to download lots of apps for him since this is his first iphone ;^)

Thank you for your patience in answering me ... you have been a great help.

Kind regards,

Lucinda

Mar 1, 2015 4:09 PM in response to wegras

I am unsure how to determine locked or unlocked but would like to know.

The old iphone that is iphone 4 was purchased through Bell (carrier).

My new iphone which is 5s was purchased through the Apple store and the carrier is also Bell but Apple arranged the set up including installing the SIM card. The Blackberry carrier is also Bell.

I may be mistaken but I thought the salesrep at Apple said that by purchasing the 5s through Apple that it would be unlocked?

Do you know how I can tell?

Tks.

Mar 2, 2015 2:45 AM in response to Lucindao

If you paid full price at the Apple store it will be unlocked

The 4 purchased from Bell is almost certainly locked to them and would therefore only work with a Bell sim ( unless you requested an unlock )

If the BB tel # is already with Bell ,just in a BB, then it should be simple for a Bell Store to ,when required, move the number to an iPhone sim insert in the iPhone 4 and you are away

Setting up old iphone without cellular? Need Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.