Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook kernel panic after new Hard drive and time machine restore

hey all.

I had my HDD fail completely on me on my 2.2ghz late 2007 Macbook 3,1 (white). I decided to pick up a nice toshiba 500gb 5800rpm HDD and get it back to life.

I stared with the new drive in and the Install CD with C key and accessed the disk utility, where I formatted a single partition on the HDD as Hard Disk. I went back and restarted, inserted my time machine backup drive, located the old backup form 2013 that I had, and selected the newly created drive as the location that I wanted my backup put.

I waited about 2hrs for the total install, it took, and I restarted. I am now getting a kernel panic at startup.

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x5627ba): "process 1 exec of /sbin/launched failed, errno 88" @SourceCahce/xnu/xnu-1699.32.7/bsd/kern/kern_exec/c:3546

appears at the top.

Kernel Version:

Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2

I did not put ANY OS on this drive. i installed a complete time machine backup. it said it will wipe the drive and install the backup.

what happened? I'm trying not to go to the genius bar if I can avoid it. I thought I was about to fix my macbook.

MacBook (13-inch Late 2007), Mac OS X (10.7), trying to keep her alive!

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 11:13 AM

1 reply

macbook kernel panic after new Hard drive and time machine restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.