Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone music defaults to all songs alphabetically since iOS 8 - won't properly play playlists or artists, shuffle, or even play Spotify and Pandora without defaulting back to the main library.

I've been working on this problem since October, and Apple Senior Advisors, iTunes Match experts, and even their Engineering Team have been unable to help. I'm hoping someone on these forums might have some insight.

Ever since updating to iOS 8, my phone will not properly play music. Regardless of which playlist, artist, or album I ask it to play, or whether I choose shuffle or not, the phone will consistently start playing my entire music library alphabetically. This does not occur every single time, but even when the phone begins to play music properly, eventually the phone will switch back to all songs and begin playing at letter A. This tends to happen when attempting to load a new track. It also occurs with much greater frequency when I am driving in my car.

To make matters worse, this also happens when I'm using a non-Apple music program, such as Spotify or Pandora. These apps tend to play properly for a bit longer, but eventually they will also stop, and the phone will switch back to my main music library and begin playing alphabetically.

Apple has already reset my iTunes Match account more than once, and they have gone so far as to send me a new phone. I set up the new phone "as new" rather than restoring from backup, which seemed to correct the issue for a few weeks. Recently, the problem has resurfaced.

No one at Apple claims to have experienced this problem with any other user, and I even allowed them to set up one of their phones with my account, and they were unable to duplicate the problem.

I'm hoping someone out there might have some insight for me, or has experienced a similar problem and can share what they may have done to correct the issue. I thank anyone who takes the time to try and help, as this has been quite a frustrating several months for me.

Thanks, everyone.

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 9:29 AM

There are no replies.

iPhone music defaults to all songs alphabetically since iOS 8 - won't properly play playlists or artists, shuffle, or even play Spotify and Pandora without defaulting back to the main library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.