Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV no picture

2nd gen (possibly 3rd, how can I check if necessary?)

Worked with no problems until today. Light on front of device working as per normal but cannot get any picture. Have tried multiple HDMI cables (never had an issue with my normal cable before) and on different TV sets - no difference.

Did two restores of the device via iTunes and a micro USB cable. After each restore and plugging in to TV I get a white Apple logo in middle of a orange/red background (again I have never seen this before, as it boots up typically has been the white Apple logo on a black background). Then after a few seconds that disappears and the light is stable on the front of the device but again no picture.

cannot check any settings or details as I cannot see anything on the device on the TV, just a blank screen. Other HDMI devices working in same ports.

Device is out of warranty according to Apple. Any ideas what the issue is and how I can fix? Can I go to an Apple store about this? Thanks in advance

AppleTV 2, Latest OS- cannot check

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 11:35 AM

Hey pcls15036,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, you have no video from the Apple TV. It looks like you have already done a good amount troubleshooting. I would recommend that you read this article, it has one more step you did not mention having done.

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting video issues - Apple Support

Change the Apple TV resolution:

• Press and hold the Menu and Up button on your Apple Remote for six seconds.
  • The Apple TV will automatically cycle to the next resolution at approximately 20 second intervals.
  • Press Play on the Apple Remote to keep the current resolution or Select to manually cycle to the next resolution.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a good one,

Mario

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 11:35 AM in response to pcls15036

Hey pcls15036,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, you have no video from the Apple TV. It looks like you have already done a good amount troubleshooting. I would recommend that you read this article, it has one more step you did not mention having done.

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting video issues - Apple Support

Change the Apple TV resolution:

• Press and hold the Menu and Up button on your Apple Remote for six seconds.
  • The Apple TV will automatically cycle to the next resolution at approximately 20 second intervals.
  • Press Play on the Apple Remote to keep the current resolution or Select to manually cycle to the next resolution.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a good one,

Mario

Mar 4, 2015 12:23 PM in response to mario49

Hi Mario,

i should've said I did conduct the resolution test as you put in your post originally when I had the problem. I couldn't get any picture when doing that.

oddly, when I returned home (these other TVs were at a friend's house) and plugged the Apple TV back in it worked straight away. Same for other places I have since been where the Apple TV worked previously. So it seems my device is alright! I'm not quite sure other than resolution why the device wouldn't work on the other TV as it was a Sony HDTV, the HDMI ports work for all the other devices attached to it. Very odd...

Apple TV no picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.