Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White balance from a grey card

How to I use a grey card photo to adjust the white balance in other photos? Particularly in RAW.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 10:33 AM

4 replies

Mar 1, 2015 4:04 PM in response to stepheneburt

Hi Stephen (I hope I have that right).

Are you asking how to use a grey card, or how to set the (so-called) White Balance in Aperture?

Here is a good article on the use of neutral references to set the color cast. Pay particular attention to the section "Custom White Balance: Choosing A Neutral Reference".

Here is the page from the Aperture User Manual on setting the White Balance.

HTH,

—Kirby.

Mar 1, 2015 5:18 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thank you. I have a photo with a grey card and a series of RAW photos taken the same day and same place. I am not sure how to transfer the grey card white balance information to the other photos. The Aperture Users Manual doesn't seem to address that, at least not directly. (Also, the on-line version is different than the downloadable version.)

Mar 1, 2015 5:31 PM in response to stepheneburt

Ah ... use Lift & Stamp.

White Balance is an adjustment. Adjustments are copied from one Image to others by lifting them (they show in the Lift & Stamp HUD) from the source Image, selecting target Images, and stamping. Note that lifting lifts all adjustments (and can also lift metadata). You can remove adjustments and metadata from the Lift & Stamp HUD before stamping Images.

I use the keyboard shortcuts ⌥⌘c to lift, and ⌥⌘v to stamp — but these may not be the defaults. Full information on using the Lift & Stamp feature is here in the User Manual.

Note the commands at the bottom of the Metadata menu. You should have three options for lifting: adjustments, metadata, and adjustments and metadata together. Your currently-assigned keyboard shortcuts show at the end of the line in the menu showing the name of the command.

—Kirby.

White balance from a grey card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.