Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You need a newer version of Pages to open this document

Hello,

I'm using the latest version of pages on my iOS device (2.5.2 (1723)), and also latest version of pages on my macbook pro (5.5.2 (2120)). I used to be able to work across devices using upload and download with dropbox service.

Later, I found out that iWork offers direct cloud sync with dropbox, box, onedrive, and google drive. I tried dropbox but it didn't work. I found a lot of articles saying that it's on the dropbox side. So I change service to box since it seemed to work OK with iWorks.

Then the problems occurred when I downloaded files directly from box and edit on my iPad. It could be edited, synced, and updated. All seemed to work well until I tried to open and edit that file on that mac. I couldn't open that file on my macbook pro. It said 'You need a newer version of Pages to open this document. You can download the latest version of Pages from the Mac App Store.' But I cannot update anymore, all my apps seemed to be all up to date.

This problems occur for all iWorks - Pages, Keynote and Numbers.

Now I'm blank, please help. Let me know if there is more info I can provide to solve this problem. Thank you very much.

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 9:43 AM

6 replies

Mar 1, 2015 5:22 PM in response to natthayanee

Have you searched your Mac with Spotlight and have you checked the versions of Pages when you opened it?

Pages '09 is distinctly different, Pages 5.x has an orange icon with orange photo on it, Pages 5.5.2 has an orange icon with a blue photo on it.

They are all mostly incompatible, thanks be to Apple.

The later versions will open the earlier version files but will alter them, in some cases damage them.

Peter

You need a newer version of Pages to open this document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.