Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp Windows 8.1 screen Dim/ Black

I bootcamped my macbook pro retina recently with Windows 8.1-- everything has been working perfectly except today when I tried bootcamping Windows would load but the screen would go completely dark. I was really worried until i noticed that I could barely make out the time display of the Window's start up clock and remembered that I dimmed my screen to turn off last night before I went to bed. However now, I can't seem to use the mac dimmness controls (F2) to illuminate the screen-- so I can't sign in or complete any task. I've tried turning on and off the computer and bootcamping a couple of ways, but nothing make the screen not black on my window's side.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Windows 8

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 11:52 AM

1 reply

Mar 1, 2015 1:14 PM in response to a.griffin

There two different settings for screen brightness, one with power adapter, and another for battery. If you plug-in the power adapter, does it change? With the adapter connected, if you touch any key on keyboard, does the screen light up correctly?

Please also see Re: i dimmed my screen completely on windows using mac pro retina. nxt morning my mac was turned off then i started using windows thru bootcamp when starting windows but after showing starting windows my screen goes completely dim again. anyone can help?

You also may not have BC drivers installed correctly, if F2 is not working. Please see Boot Camp: Install or repair Boot Camp drivers.

What happens if you connect an external display?

Bootcamp Windows 8.1 screen Dim/ Black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.