Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 3,1 (early 2008) 32-bit or 64-bit?

I would like to use some Arturia products to use with my Mac Pro 3,1 (3.2GHz CPU; 4GB RAM, bought new early 2008 with an upgrade on CPU)

I currently use OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard but am in the process of buying 10.8 Mountain Lion from Apple - I waiting for them to “deliver” it via email. I intend to test Mountain Lion on my Mac Pro before I buy anything else (having upgraded my mid 2010 13-inch MacBook Pro to Yosemite from 10.6.8 and finding it very slow).

I use Logic Pro 9.

Arturia’s V Collection 4 software specifies OSX "10.8+; 4 GB RAM; 2GHz CPU; 64 bits only". (http://www.arturia.com/v-collection/details) Obviously if my Mac Pro is 32-bits then this software is incompatible with it, but I don’t know if it is (or exactly how to find out). Would I be better of getting an older version of Arturia’s V Collection perhaps? V 2 is compatible with OSX 10.4 apparently.

I’m also interested in Arturia’s Keylab 61 hardware (with their Analogue Lab software), specifying OSX "10.8+; 4GB RAM; 2GHz CPU"; and makes no comment on number of bits. I wonder if this is compatible with a) my Mac Pro and b) Arturia V Collection 2?

If anyone can help me with any or all of my questions I would very much appreciate it.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Model 3,1; 3.2GHz CPU; 4GB RAM

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 10:23 AM

It will run all 32-bit and 64-bit software. It has a 64-bit bootROM and can run all 64-bit versions of OS X.

Upgrading to Mountain Lion

To upgrade to Mountain Lion you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Purchase a redemption code at the Online Apple Store: OS X Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion is $19.99 plus tax. Use the code to redeem a download of Mountain Lion from the App Store. The file is quite large, over 4 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mountain Lion - System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later.

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model

Identifier 5,1 or later.

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later.

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Upgrading to Yosemite

You can upgrade to Yosemite directly from Snow Leopard. Yosemite can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for FREE.

Upgrading to Yosemite

To upgrade to Yosemite you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download Yosemite from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Yosemite is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks/Yosemite - System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Yosemite

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 10:23 AM in response to Otterysteve

It will run all 32-bit and 64-bit software. It has a 64-bit bootROM and can run all 64-bit versions of OS X.

Upgrading to Mountain Lion

To upgrade to Mountain Lion you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Purchase a redemption code at the Online Apple Store: OS X Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion is $19.99 plus tax. Use the code to redeem a download of Mountain Lion from the App Store. The file is quite large, over 4 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mountain Lion - System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later.

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model

Identifier 5,1 or later.

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later.

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

Upgrading to Yosemite

You can upgrade to Yosemite directly from Snow Leopard. Yosemite can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for FREE.

Upgrading to Yosemite

To upgrade to Yosemite you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download Yosemite from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Yosemite is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks/Yosemite - System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Yosemite

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

Mar 1, 2015 11:16 AM in response to lllaass

For Readers who find this posting by searching:

lllaass has provided the exact correct information. Some more opinions about 64/32 bit hacks:

The hack for 2006 and 2007 Mac Pros that shipped with 32-bit firmware has a bit of complexity to it. Its biggest drawback is that it is unsupported.

--If you are a developer, or think like one, feel free to barge right in and use the hack.

--If you are a 'strictly creative' type, think long and hard about this. You may be better served by buying a 2009 or later Mac Pro, for trouble-free, supported operation.

Mar 1, 2015 11:40 AM in response to Otterysteve

Consider $40 for 2x2GB to give your system more memory which it needs.

http://www.amazon.com/2X2GB-NEMIX-Memory-800MHz-PC2-6400/dp/B0085MGR7U/

Step #2 Samsung 250GB $120

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U/

http://www.amazon.com/Icy-Dock-EZConvert-2-5-Inch-Converter/dp/B002Z2QDNE/

(adapter is needed to place on sled for drive bays)

Snow Leopard has 64-bit mode

OS X: Starting up with the 32-bit or 64-bit kernel - Apple Support

http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeopard-Compatibility-software.html

Last item on a 2008 is usually the OEM graphic cards, the ATI 2600XT (w/ 256MB VRAM) to look into upgrading.

Mar 1, 2015 2:07 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy. So can I just buy and install the Arturia software? Or do I need to change anything in 10.8 when I get it? (By the way, I read your posts the other day about Mountain Lion to make sure it would work on my Mac Pro and it was very helpful, thanks very much).

Will I need to switch Logic Pro to 64-bit (I’ve found out how to do this already) to be compatible with Arturi V Collection 4 please? (No other point in switching to 64-bit, as far as I know, as I only have 4GB RAM).

Mar 1, 2015 2:14 PM in response to The hatter

Thanks The Hatter. I'm in the UK so wouldn't buy stuff from Amazon USA but the same memory might be available here I suppose - not that I'm looking to upgrade memory right now. Perhaps later. Useful stuff for a later date perhaps.

Both of the Arturia items are not compatible with Snow Leopard, minimum requirement for them is Mountain Lion, so for the purposes of my question the information that Snow Leopard has 64 bit capability is not relevant, although it is interesting in its own right and may be of use to other people reading this thread.

Mar 1, 2015 2:47 PM in response to Otterysteve

Back then there were apps that were not compatible yet, and then with Lion or later people faced having to get rid of and update apps that had relied on Rosetta and not yet move beyond PowerPC code.

Kingston and Crucial tend to be popular but Amazon.com/uk would - as for ready for more than 4GB, over-ready, as 4GB was really minimal then for a light load. You may not realize it. If you don't push or your system does not write pagefile to disk. The difference between no SSD and that with is a clear improvement for small investment.

Mar 1, 2015 5:35 PM in response to Kappy

Bother! Using the information you and The Hatter kindly provided I have found that I can get my Mac Pro to boot in 64 bit mode, and that Logic Pro 9 can also be made to open in 64 bit mode.

Unfortunately my RME Fireface 800 firewire music interface is not recognised in 64 bit mode. It works fine again when I revert back to 32 bit mode, but not in 64.

I've emailed RME about this - hopefully it just needs a driver update. But if not then the plan to add Arturia V Collection 4 and their Keylab 61 midi keyboard will be consigned to the scrap heap.....

Does anyone here know about this issue with the RME Fireface 800 please?

Mar 2, 2015 2:16 PM in response to Otterysteve

Just one hopefully last question. On Snow Leopard I could find whether the Mac Pro was in 32 bit or 64 bit from the Software overview in System Information - it would give a "yes" or "no" response to the question of whether 64 bit kernel and extensions were applied.

But there is no such information here in Mountain Lion (which I installed today). Is this because the Mac Pro is ALWAYS in 64 bit mode on Mountain Lion? I suspect it is but would be grateful for confirmation - and if I'm wrong, then how do I get it into 64 bit mode please?

Many thanks for all your help

(By the way, the problem with the RME FF800 interface was solved by updating the driver and firmware. Hopefully the same action will sort out the UAD card.....).

Mac Pro 3,1 (early 2008) 32-bit or 64-bit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.