Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what happens when i connect to itunes when ive used icloud since i first got my device?

Ive always used icloud but now i have ran out of storage i want to back up my devices using itunes, what will happen when i connect my device to itunes for ythe first time? I am using Windows 8.1 and have 3 apple devices (Ipod touch 5, ipad 2, an a ipad mini original)

Thanks in advance!

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 9:52 AM

7 replies

Mar 1, 2015 9:59 AM in response to Fyrecool

If the only reason you want to connect to iTunes is to back up your devices (not sync them), then all you need to make sure of is that iTunes is not set up to automatically sync. Open iTunes and click on Edit>Preferences then on Devices, to make sure that it is not set up to automatically sync.

Then you can hook up your devices and select the Back Up option to back them up.

Cheers,

GB

Mar 1, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Fyrecool

Yes - if you try to sync, then it will tell you that it is a new device and everything will be erased. When you sync, you are syncing with the data in the actual iTunes Library. You select which Apps, Music, Movies, TV, Photos, Books, etc. that you want to sync to your device in the Device Profile tabs that will display in iTunes when you hook up your device. Whatever you have selected will sync to your device.

If you have your Contacts, Notes, Calendars, etc. already checked to sync with iCloud (not backup, but the items that are tuned on under Settings>iCloud on both your device and your computer), then those will not get replaced.

If everything on your device is purchased from the iTunes Store, you can download it all to your computer by going to the appropriate tab in the iTunes Store, click on Purchased under the Quick Links section to the right, and then download anything that has a cloud next to it.

Here is a support article on syncing:

iTunes 12 for Windows: Sync iPod, iPhone, or iPad

Cheers,

GB

Mar 1, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Fyrecool

Yes. I have automatic iCloud backups set up, so my device backs up whenever I connect it to charge. But, I also back it up to iTunes on a regular basis. Any time I am doing a major iOS upgrade on my device, I hook up to iTunes and create a "secondary" backup to my iCloud one. I also will back it up to iTunes if I've connected to the Mac to import photos.

Again, make sure that Automatic Sync is turned off, and then only select Back up in iTunes and do not sync.

Here's another article that may help:

Should I use iTunes or iCloud to back up my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

what happens when i connect to itunes when ive used icloud since i first got my device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.