Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 crippled since "update" to iOS 8

SInce the updating to iOS 8 Amd the associated patches, my iPad2 has become more or less crippled. Problems include:

Apps crashing

Internet speed vastly reduced from average of 40 megabits/sec to average of about 20 megabits/sec, sometimes as slow as less than 2 megabits/sec.

Internet connection forever dropping out

Bluetooth connection regularly dropping out.

Bootup time doubled.

Slow response when opening apps

Keystrokes sometimes taking about 10 seconds to appear on screen

Just all round slow and sluggish

I have over 6GB of free space, no more than about 40 apps installed and it seems that most iPad 2 users are in the same boat. The Internet and Bluetooth problems are not an issues with Windows and Google. My question are:

- Am I just supposed to accept this?

- Is it a deliberate ploy by Apple to get people to buy a newer model iPad?

- Is there anyway I can fix these problems - I've searches the web and it just seems to be that you have to deal with these problems and that there are no

soutions.

Thanks.

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 10:47 AM

1 reply

Mar 1, 2015 12:14 PM in response to RJSWinchester

RJSWinchester wrote:

- Am I just supposed to accept this?

- Is it a deliberate ploy by Apple to get people to buy a newer model iPad?

- Is there anyway I can fix these problems - I've searches the web and it just seems to be that you have to deal with these problems and that there are no

soutions.

1. Have you performed any troubleshooting steps to try to fix these issues?
  2. Seriously, you really think that this is a ploy by Apple to get iPad 2 users to buy newer devices? I really don't think that they need to resort to those kinds of tactics. They are raking in the cash by the bushelful every minute of every day.
  3. See my first question. Do you know how to perform any troubleshooting steps?

I am not denying that there are people that had problems with the update to iOS 8. The iPad 2 is the oldest and least powerful device that can run iOS 8, so it could be stretching the limits of what your iPad can handle. On the other hand, I have seen a number of people post here that have the iPad 2 and say that their iPads are running fine with iOS 8 on them.

I can't guarantee that these steps will help, but if your iPad is running that badly, you have nothing to lose by trying these suggestions.

Go to Settings>Safari>Clear History and Website Data

Now close all apps. In order to close apps, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Next, reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

If those three things made no difference, try this. Reset all settings. You will not lose any data, but most of the device settings will have to be entered in the settings app again. Settings>General>Reset>Reset all Settings.

If all of that fails, restore the iOS software. Backup your iPad before you restore, then restore the backup when you are done. If that still doesn't help, restore your iPad as new and start all over again. Most purchased content can be downloaded again at no charge as long as you use the same Apple ID and as long as the content is still available in the store.

Restore iPad to Factory Settings

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

Download Past Purchases

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519

If you are still having problems, you can make an appointment at an Apple Store and ask an Apple Genius for help. These is no charge for their services.

iPad 2 crippled since "update" to iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.