Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding printer NEW AP extreme utility.app

I want to add a printer that is connect directly to my PC and has a wifi connection, too. My mac has always used the wifi to print, and with an old Netgear it worked fine. Now with a brand new AP extreme (2015) it doesn't. The utility app doesn't allow me to choose such a peripheral. Plus it doesn't look like what other people have from last December even. Help!

Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 1:17 PM

My mac has always used the wifi to print, and with an old Netgear it worked fine.

Were you printing via the Windows PC shared printer (wifi is then merely used for network and the share happens from the PC) or was the printer also wifi connected to the router?

In the new setup with the AE printer should be wifi connected directly to the router. The method of doing that is in the main menu area.. ie up the top.. not in the boxes of the AE itself.

So go to the main top menu.. but if you use Yosemite it looks different.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Change from Pin to First attempt and the Printer will then be network connected to the AE.

Once you do that.. remove the existing setup completely in the Mac and start over.. adding the printer that is now wifi connected to the AE.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 1:17 PM in response to bobdog69

My mac has always used the wifi to print, and with an old Netgear it worked fine.

Were you printing via the Windows PC shared printer (wifi is then merely used for network and the share happens from the PC) or was the printer also wifi connected to the router?

In the new setup with the AE printer should be wifi connected directly to the router. The method of doing that is in the main menu area.. ie up the top.. not in the boxes of the AE itself.

So go to the main top menu.. but if you use Yosemite it looks different.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Change from Pin to First attempt and the Printer will then be network connected to the AE.

Once you do that.. remove the existing setup completely in the Mac and start over.. adding the printer that is now wifi connected to the AE.

Mar 1, 2015 2:44 PM in response to LaPastenague

That sounds like a great suggestion. I hope I can use it to solve my problem. However, there's one small problem. First, thank you for showing me there is a menu bar. I didn't think to look for one. Again, slight issue. The 'Base Station' menu when clicked doesn't 'highlight' any of the choices including add a WBS printer. So, I suspect I'm overlooking something as simple as the menu bar issue as well. Any suggestions?

I am usinmg Yosemite.

Nevermind. As I suspected I am a bit on the numbskull side today. I found that I needed to simply click on the AirPort Extreme icon and the menu items light up. Sorry to have bothered anyone with this.

Thanks to the last poster for answering my question. All is good.

adding printer NEW AP extreme utility.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.