Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost or stolen ipad 4th generation wi-fi

Hi. I didn't realize iPad was missing for 48 hours. I immediately clicked on Find my iPhone and set up notification, but I have a couple of questions:

1. "Activation Lock is enabled automatically when you turn on Find My iPhone on a device using iOS 7 or later." -- does this mean it's enabled when I installed Find my iPhone on the iPad last year or is it referring to when I clicked on it 48 hours after noticing the iPad was missing?

2. My iPad shipped with iOS 6, but I downloaded iOS 7 at initial set up. Does that mean I'm covered by Activation Lock? Because I had a pass code, I haven't erased my iPad because I was concerned that my contact information would be erased in case someone found the iPad, but that wouldn't be a concern with Activation Lock, right?

3. Because I have a pass code, would someone even be able to see my notification information? The iPad was turned off, and I'm almost certain it was in airplane mode.

4. If someone was able to reset my device before I realized it was missing, am i SOL?

Thanks for any and all help.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 12:09 PM

3 replies

Mar 1, 2015 12:14 PM in response to bhughes8

https://www.icloud.com

If it exists, you can send a command to erase it, lock it or both. The command(s) will be acted upon as soon as the iPad accesses the Internet. If you wish, you can first send a message that will appear on the home screen asking whoever found it to call your telephone.

Mar 1, 2015 1:41 PM in response to Philly_Phan

I went to icloud.com, but since the ipad is ios 7, it's not showing up under devices in settings.

under 'find my iphone' on icloud.com, it shows up like it does on my iphone app. It says 'B's ipad is offline', and 'sound & lost mode pending'. 'notify me when found' is checked.

Does that mean the system knows that it exists or would those messages still appear even if someone had erased it before i had clicked on find my iphone?

(my hope is if it's not erased, then it could be sitting in a lost and found. if erased, then that's obviously not happening)

lost or stolen ipad 4th generation wi-fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.