Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not activating on Vodafone payg

Just put a new sim in old iPhone 4 cant get iMessage to activate on child's Apple ID any suggestions

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2, Vidafone uk payg

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 11:45 AM

3 replies

Mar 2, 2015 12:26 PM in response to Daveoxo

Hi Daveoxo,

The resource below will provide some steps to try if you are not able to activate iMessage on a new sim card. Since iMessage is tied to the telephone number associated with your Apple ID, my first thought would be to make sure the account is working with Vodafone first.

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201422

Check your device settings

1. Make sure that you’re connected to a cellular data or Wi-Fi network. If you're using an iPhone, you'll need SMS messaging to activate your phone number with iMessage and FaceTime. Depending on your carrier, you might be charged for this SMS.
  2. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and make sure that your time zone is set up correctly.

Still not activated after an hour?

It might take a few minutes to activate iMessage and FaceTime. If you've waited more than an hour, try these steps:

1. Make sure that your device has the latest version of iOS.
  2. If you're using an iPhone, contact your carrier to make sure that you can receive SMS messages.
  3. Contact Apple Support.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Jul 13, 2017 3:18 AM in response to Daveoxo

For anyone having an issue with PAYG Vodafone iMessage activation and a missing phone number in the settings this may be of use..

I carried out all the suggestions on the web, reset network settings, reset iPhone settings, text web to 40127 for new PAYG settings, sign out Apple ID in iMessage/FaceTime with a iPhone reboot etc. but nothing would work.

As a PAYG customer I only add enough credit each month to activate a bundle so don't have any actual credit on the phone. The background activation SMS can't be sent (must cost a premium rate to send the message) without some credit.

I added £10 credit, signed out my Apple ID in iMessage/FaceTime, switched iMessage/FaceTime off in the settings, rebooted the phone and switched the iMessage/FaceTime back on and the activation finally occurred and my phone number was now showing for iMessage send/receive. Once this occurs you can then sign in the Apple ID as well and you'll have both ID and number available.

Hope this helps anyone else having the issue.

iMessage not activating on Vodafone payg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.