Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

/usr/bin/ directory scripts

I have OSX 10.9.5. I discovered the "fuser" command in the /usr/bin/ directory is a script, instead of a binary. Anyone have any idea why Apple would replace the "fuser" binary with a script?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 5:25 PM

I guess because lsof does the important work, and scripting lsof did the job that was needed for fuser. 1 less executable to maintain, where that executable needs to know the inner workings of the operating system.

It has been a perl script since at least Leopard (10.5 is the oldest system available to me). I do not know when it first appeared, and if it was always a perl script.

When was the last time you knew it was an executable, as you say it was replaced?

POSX only requires that there be an fuser command, it does not dictate how that command is implemented.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 5:25 PM in response to DogPyle

I guess because lsof does the important work, and scripting lsof did the job that was needed for fuser. 1 less executable to maintain, where that executable needs to know the inner workings of the operating system.

It has been a perl script since at least Leopard (10.5 is the oldest system available to me). I do not know when it first appeared, and if it was always a perl script.

When was the last time you knew it was an executable, as you say it was replaced?

POSX only requires that there be an fuser command, it does not dictate how that command is implemented.

/usr/bin/ directory scripts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.