Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup slow and sometimes shows diagonal line inside circle and fails to start.

HI. Started with trying to start from external ssd through a sub 3 hub. Very slow but got to startup screen. Next time I switched sub hub to another but now wouldn't start at all. Tried direct connection worked fine. Tried hubs again but wouldn't start. Back to direct connection but now wouldn't start. At one try I got a big circle with diagonal line through it instead of login screen. I also had some kernel panics going on. Before login screen. I finally got it started from main drive and running some diagnostics but am concerned about my Mac having more serious issues. It's a 2012 15" retina model with 256 GBP SSD and 16 GB memory. I keep all data on external drives and run only programs from the main drive.

ANy help is much appreciated thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 11:29 AM

2 replies

Mar 4, 2015 8:08 AM in response to Kappy

Hey Kappy thanks for your help. You did cover almost everything that could've been wrong with it. It turned out that a WD 3TB drive was the hold up. Although as a side issue I've been having and got a review pulled on amazon on the Anker 13 port USB 3 hub. I was having a slowdown on a number of drives I have plugged into the hub and I was using a couple of other USB 3 hubs, one a Monoprice the other a DLink four port hubs. After upgrading to OS X 10.10.3 these two hubs stopped working. When I have drives plugged into either one and try to run a speed test on them they run at less than 1Mb. Even the external SSD does the same thing. The 13 port hub now works fine. Any ideas? Thanks again for helping out.

Rd

Startup slow and sometimes shows diagonal line inside circle and fails to start.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.