Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone constantly asking for old Apple ID/iCloud ID password!

Ive come to the end of my tether here....

My iphone 4S, currently running the most upto date IOS, everything has been fine until about 1 week ago my phone started to prompt me to "Sign in to iCloud - Enter the Apple ID password for *******@whatever.com"'. The problem is that its asking for a old apple ID account that I had that I havent used in years and naturally cant remember the password or security questions, I tried to reset my password but havent received any emails from apple with the link to reset a new password in any of my mail boxes, including junk.

For the past 5 days its been prompting this every 10 seconds....all day and all night. As you can imagine this is becoming unbearable and a real hassle to use my phone. Ive had a search online for solutions and tried most of them but nothing seems to be working. I made the decision to restore my iPhone today but iTunes wouldnt let me because I need to turn off the Find My iPhone option in my iCloud settings on my phone....but I cant because Its using my old Apple ID -thats asking for the password that I cant change- I cant turn it off!

Tried calling apple support but was on hold for about 40 mins before I hung up.

Please someone give me a solution before I throw this phone across the room!

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 12:51 PM

10 replies

Mar 1, 2015 1:10 PM in response to gail from maine

Ill try them again tomorrow then and hopefully not be waiting for so long...

My itunes and app store are signed in with my current ID (this one) but iCloud seems to be using a old one and I have no idea why because I never used the iCloud feature at all so I cant even sign out because it asks for my password to confirm to sign out lol!

x

Mar 1, 2015 1:27 PM in response to tfsdeth

You have used the iCloud function on your device. If you had not, you would not be signed in to iCloud on your iPhone. At no point are you 'automatically' signed into iCloud. You have to authorize that at some point on your device, sometimes during device setup, or in settings later on.

Here's what's going on with your device and iCloud.

Either:

A) The Apple ID showing in iCloud is a separate Apple ID that you don't use anymore. If that is the case, reset your password at iforgot.apple.com, and use that to sign out of iCloud on the device.

B) The Apple ID showing in iCloud is a previous name (primary email address) of your current Apple ID. If that is the case, read this article: If you're asked for the password to your previous Apple ID when signing out of iCloud - Apple Support

Mar 1, 2015 1:33 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Ive been to iforgot.apple.com and tried to reset my password a few times now but Im not receiving any email from apple :/ Ive checked all through my mail and cant find anything!

My apple ID I do use only has one primary email which is different from this email on my iCloud but Ive tried the link you posted already with no luck 😟

Mar 1, 2015 1:35 PM in response to tfsdeth

Then you need to call Apple Account security. One of the two scenarios I presented is the most likely cause. Either you changed the primary email address of your Apple ID and didn't sign out of that Apple ID in iCloud first, or it's a totally different Apple ID that what you normally use.

Do you get an option at iforgot.apple.com to answer security questions?

Mar 1, 2015 4:11 PM in response to tfsdeth

OK, so you are saying that the email signed onto iCloud right now is the old email address that you used to have for your Apple ID, correct? And you changed that email address to the one you are currently using - didn't set up a separate Apple account, just went into Manage your Apple ID and changed the email address to the one you are using now? If that is the case then you need to do the following:

1. Go to Manage your Apple ID and sign in with your current Apple ID and passcode. EDIT the Apple ID back to the old email address. This is temporary. Do NOT verify it, do NOT change the password: Apple - My Apple ID

2. Go to your device to Settings>iCloud, scroll to the bottom of the screen and sign out of the iCloud account. When it asks for the password, type in your current password. Follow the remaining prompts to sign out th iCloud account

3. Go back to Manage your Apple ID and sign in with the old Apple email address and your current password, and EDIT the Apple ID back to the new email address. You may need to verify it again

4. Go back to Settings>iCloud on your device and sign in with the updated Apple ID

Cheers,

GB

iPhone constantly asking for old Apple ID/iCloud ID password!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.