Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 button works but phone doesnt know it

Here's a problem I am having trouble finding any help on. The button on the iphone 5 I have actually works but the two prongs it makes contact with on the bottom of the phone do not. You can take a screw drive and short the two bottom prongs and nothing happens. I originally thought it was the home button itself cause I could short across and get siri but now it does not work even if I short them. I have not had much success looking on the Internet and was wondering if anybody has run into this before could give me a link on how the bottom prongs work. Then I could figure out how to repair it nothing else wrong with the phone except the home button. thx

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 1:30 PM

8 replies

Mar 1, 2015 2:50 PM in response to KiltedTim

First question I have taken all version of iphones apart and replaced parts except 5s and 6/6plus. The mainboard is not accepting the home button has been pressed even though the button works. This is the first 5 I have ran into that the home button works but shorting aross the prongs next to lighting port doesnt activate siri. The phone is out of warranty and really would I pay as much as the phone is worth for apple to look at it?

Mar 1, 2015 2:59 PM in response to jpparkerjr

jpparkerjr wrote:

The phone is out of warranty and really would I pay as much as the phone is worth for apple to look at it?

No, you would have paid a fraction of what the phone is worth for an out of warranty replacement. The value of the phone is not the heavily discounted up front price you see when you have to sign a contract to pay the rest over the following two years.

Mar 1, 2015 3:27 PM in response to jpparkerjr

jpparkerjr wrote:

First question I have taken all version of iphones apart and replaced parts except 5s and 6/6plus.

Completely irrelevant. The iPhone is not user serviceable.

The phone is out of warranty and really would I pay as much as the phone is worth for apple to look at it?

You could have gotten the phone replaced for $269. If you consider that more than it (was) worth, that's your call to make. The fact remains, Apple won't touch it now and we can't advise you. There are no legitimate sources at all for iPhone parts. So far as Apple is concerned, it's scrap now.

Mar 1, 2015 4:48 PM in response to jpparkerjr

My apologies thought someone here might actually have a working knowledge of how the electrical part that I am working on works. By the way I never wanted apple to touch anything for me. I will go somewhere else I see this forum is just a send it to apple forum. I actually like working on electronics its what I have been doing for over 20 years. Thanks for all the negative responses it was a great experience to know not to come back to this forum.

Mar 2, 2015 5:11 AM in response to jpparkerjr

jpparkerjr wrote:

My apologies thought someone here might actually have a working knowledge of how the electrical part that I am working on works. By the way I never wanted apple to touch anything for me. I will go somewhere else I see this forum is just a send it to apple forum. I actually like working on electronics its what I have been doing for over 20 years. Thanks for all the negative responses it was a great experience to know not to come back to this forum.

No, it's a forum to provide technical assistance to fellow users, but the limitations are to remain within procedures that will not void your warranty or violate the terms and conditions you agreed to when you purchased and began using the device.

Many of us do have a working knowledge of the internal components of iOS devices and Apple computers. And some of us actually participate on other forums where the forum rules allow for discussions like the one you're seeking. Perhaps I'll see you on one of those forums. But I can't even tell you what forum to go to, since this forum's rules don't allow that.

You actually liking working on electronics is not relevant on this forum. I've got decades of experience working with electronics and IT, both military and civilian, and I enjoy it immensely. But since I agreed to follow the rules of this forum when I signed up (as did you), I'm not going to provide support or recommendations here that violate that agreement.

This is obviously not the forum for you. And that's not the same as a 'negative' response. You've been given accurate and truthful information, based upon the guidelines of this forum.

Best of luck.

iPhone 5 button works but phone doesnt know it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.