Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion 3 templates into M5

I want to bring in the Motion 3 templates into Motion 5. Alas didn't bookmark prior reading. I don't even care that they show up as templates within M5. (altho that would be nice.) I have 2 computers - one with M3 and one with M5. Somehow a year ago I was able to bring over the entire CURVES Template folder from old computer onto new and can access it within Motion 5. I have opened the Slider Template in M3 and saved as a Motion file and opened it in M5 and it worked. I can open/save and will do so if that is the best way.

but how on earth did I get the entire Curves folder? Where is it housed on my Mac running 10.7.5?

TIA for any help at all.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 so spiffy

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 3:27 PM

Motion 5 will open any Motion project back to at least version 2.0 (I've done it!)

The Curves folder and all the other basic Motion Templates from Motion 3 (and 4) are located in:

Root hard drive > Library > Application Support > Final Cut Studio > Motion > Templates. Some of those templates have already been updated by Apple and are available with "Additional Content" in Motion 5 (Motion menu > Download Additional Content; examples: Skyline, Snap, Vine and a few others). A good number of the older templates are designed for standard def projects and will require adjustments to upgrade to HD (there's a method in Motion 5 to set up "Snapshots" to adapt projects to other aspect ratios, etc.)

All older Motion projects are "basic" Motion Projects. They can be turned into FCPX generators by selecting Publish Template and in the save/publish dialog, check the Publish as Final Cut Generator, then creating or selecting a Category and supplying the name.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 3:27 PM in response to smidi

Motion 5 will open any Motion project back to at least version 2.0 (I've done it!)

The Curves folder and all the other basic Motion Templates from Motion 3 (and 4) are located in:

Root hard drive > Library > Application Support > Final Cut Studio > Motion > Templates. Some of those templates have already been updated by Apple and are available with "Additional Content" in Motion 5 (Motion menu > Download Additional Content; examples: Skyline, Snap, Vine and a few others). A good number of the older templates are designed for standard def projects and will require adjustments to upgrade to HD (there's a method in Motion 5 to set up "Snapshots" to adapt projects to other aspect ratios, etc.)

All older Motion projects are "basic" Motion Projects. They can be turned into FCPX generators by selecting Publish Template and in the save/publish dialog, check the Publish as Final Cut Generator, then creating or selecting a Category and supplying the name.

Mar 3, 2015 4:09 PM in response to fox_m

Thanks - good leads. Alas, neither worked.

1) Library > Application Support > Final Cut Studio > Motion > No Templates - many other folders, e.g. Behavior, Content, Filters, Shapes, Text Styles, etc)

2) Download Additional Content is dimmed

Close, but not quite there yet. Sure appreciate your info.

Mar 3, 2015 4:21 PM in response to smidi

If they weren't there, check your user library. In the finder, go to the Go menu and hold down the Option key. Select Library from the menu (that will open your user account folder.) Then follow the same path (Application Support > Final Cut Studio, etc...) If you installed Motion 3 under a different user name, you will need to log out and log in as that user.

If Download Additional Content is dimmed, then you've already downloaded it.

Motion 3 templates into M5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.