Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to inspect web app using safari and ipad and USB cable?

On my mac I have

• OSX 10.10.2 (14C109)
  • Safari Version 8.0.3 (10600.3.18)

On my Ipad 2 (MC769X/A) i have

• OS 8.1.3 (12B466)
  • Safari Web Inspector "on"
  • Javascript "on"

There are no "privacy" or "private mode" settings that I can see.

I physically connected my iPad to my Mac and chose that I trust this computer. Confirmed that it's connected by looking in iTunes (and quit iTunes afterwards).

I opened a web app on my iPad that's running on my local server, and then opened safari on the mac.

I then opened the Develop menu and can see the ipad. The menu does not contain any other entries other than "Use for development..."

User uploaded file

My mac also shows "No inspectable applications", whatever that means.

User uploaded file

If I choose "Use for development" under the iPad menu, nothing at all happens and the menu item disappears.

User uploaded file

To get the iPad sub-menu back again I have to quit Safari and then re-open it.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Mid 2011

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 3:03 PM

2 replies

Mar 2, 2015 2:03 PM in response to OttoGie

I'm sorry I don't buy this as an answer because:

1. it's for a question that is 2 years old and for older devices. My devices are all the latest version
  2. I have XCode and I'm a member of the develop program already.
  3. XCode does not offer a way to create a project or other pairing between safari on the mac and on the ipad, since that is a built in feature of Safari
  4. It works with IOS Simulator, but not with the actual device even when all correct steps have been followed to pair / connect them
  5. The problem I'm trying to resolve works in IOS Simulator but does not work on an actual device.

How to inspect web app using safari and ipad and USB cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.