Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro powers on but has no monitor, keyboard functionality, or sounds.

I've got an older MacBook Pro laptop (probably 6-7 years old) but it's always worked fine. The other day I tried to turn it on and it powers on (I hear the fans going and the light on the front lights up), but I don't hear the usual bootup sound, the monitor doesn't display anything and the keyboard doesn't seem active (capslock doesn't light up, eject button doesn't kick out the disc that is in there).

I wasn't installing anything recently and haven't made any other software/hardware changes. It was just kind of out of the blue.

Any ideas what it could be? I'm much better at diagnosing PC desktop problems. I'm not as savvy with Mac laptops.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 12:55 PM

1 reply

Mar 2, 2015 1:34 PM in response to ViPeRx007

Hello ViPeRx007,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like your MacBook Pro is powering on, but not booting to OS X or displaying anything on the screen. It can be difficult to know why this would happen, and I know it's frustrating to experience out of the blue.

Since you do not hear the startup chime, I recommend resetting the SMC and PRAM first:

You can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays - Apple Support

Next, try booting to the OS X install disc that came with your Mac, or the Recovery System if you've installed OS X Lion or later:

If you're using OS X Lion or later, start the computer from Recovery System or Internet Recovery. If you're using an older version of OS X and your computer came with a Mac OS X Install disc, insert the installation disc and restart the computer while holding the C key instead.

Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck - Apple Support

Best Regards,

Jeremy

MacBook Pro powers on but has no monitor, keyboard functionality, or sounds.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.