Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uploading to iCloud not freeing space on MacBook ssd drive

I have dragged a number of folders from my MacBook Air to iCloud and the disk space available has not been updated or freed for other application use. Initially I identified this as a problem with my Pictures folder but now have identified it is a repetitive problem. The problem is now I can't restore from by Time Machine since it says there is insufficient space on the drive to do so. DO I have to reinstall the OS X (Mavericks) and then reinstall all the data files?

Thanks

Paul

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 2:40 PM

1 reply

Mar 1, 2015 3:19 PM in response to paulbreilly

I have dragged a number of folders from my MacBook Air to iCloud and the disk space available has not been updated or freed for other application use.

Moving folders to iCloud Drive is not supposed to free space on your Mac. It will store your documents in iCloud to have the current version in one place, and from there the documents will be updated on all your devices that are using iCloud Drive. Foe each document you upload to iCloud, iCloud Drive will create a shadow copy in your user library, so you can still use the document, when you are off-line and have no internet connection.

Reinstalling MacOS X will not solve this.

Try, if you can free space on your MPB by temporarily moving other content to an external drive, so the upload to icloud drive can succeed.

What is the state of the upload to iCloud Drive? Did the folders upload correctly? You can check that on https://www.icloud.com

If all your documents are now safely on iCloud Drive, move some folders back to your Mac and then to an external drive.

Uploading to iCloud not freeing space on MacBook ssd drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.