Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage hack?

I handed in my iphone 5 to a service company because the speaker wasn't working, they needed my passcode etc but I made sure to outlog myself from all apps and iMessage. However, when I got it back now, my apple laptop asks me if I want to add this number to my iMessage. What I get is an unknown phone number and the option to add it to imsg because it was used on apple id *enters my apple id* on *enters the name of my phone*. When I check my phone, this number is added under "send and receive". Does this mean someone hacked into my phone, someone who works in the service?

I deleted it and changed my password for appleID, does this mean I'm safe?

Thanks for any advice!

iPhone 5s

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 1:58 PM

7 replies

Mar 1, 2015 2:01 PM in response to dsmedg

What 'service company'? Was it an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider?

If you've changed the password for your Apple ID, then your Apple ID should be safe. You may also want to consider changing the primary email address of your Apple ID [Change your Apple ID - Apple Support] and perhaps updating your security information. You might also want to update the same for all of your accounts (email, bank accounts, etcetera).

Mar 1, 2015 2:05 PM in response to dsmedg

Go to Settings/iCloud. Is your Apple ID shown at the top? If it is, turn off Find my iPhone, which requires your passcode, and log out. Also log out of Facetime, iMessage, iTunes & App Stores. Change your Apple ID passcode. Then log in to everything again and you should be OK. In the future never give any password to anyone. If they need access log out first.

Mar 1, 2015 2:28 PM in response to dsmedg

You shouldn't need to change your gmail password unless you gave it to them. What I meant was change your Apple ID password. In general an Apple ID password should not be the same as the password for the email address that you used for your Apple ID. As far as bank passwords, if you use the iPhone's password vault and they had access to it you should change the bank passwords, but if you don't or it wasn't accessible you should be OK.

It would probably be a good idea to add 2 factor authentication to your Apple ID. Not because of this incident, but because it's generally a good thing to have. You should also add it to your gmail account if you don't have it there already.

Mar 1, 2015 2:38 PM in response to dsmedg

Noted, will add some security now. Will also notify the service provider to ask them the check their employee records. However the only password I gave them was my phones pin-code, however as you kindly point out, I only "deactivated" imessage and facetime without realizing I had to log out from the appleID. I did sign out of icloud and gmail on my phone though...This is extremely creepy, as I use this id on my phone, ipad and computer...

Mar 1, 2015 4:15 PM in response to dsmedg

If you change your iCloud password none of the information on your computer will be at risk. Data that you had in iCloud won't be at risk anymore, but if the phone was logged in to iCloud or anyone had your iCloud password then that information could have been copied off of iCloud.

You should definitely speak to the manager of the shop you took it to. It sounds like someone put their own SIM in the phone, which would have added their mobile number to iMessage. But when the SIM was switched back to yours that access goes away.

imessage hack?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.