Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I clean up the memory (cache) that records Artists and Albums I've recorded using iTunes? The associated drop down list for these are becoming too long.

How do I clean up the memory (cache) that records Artists and Albums I've recorded using iTunes? The associated drop down list for these are becoming too long..

iPad, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 3:18 PM

5 replies

Mar 1, 2015 4:51 PM in response to mthawsh

You'll need to find the entries in your library that have those values - the dropdowns reflect the current content of the library. Use the Search function to find songs that have "errors" in the Artist/Album name, correct it there, and once there are no erroneous values left in the library they will disappear from the dropdown. Unless your library has become corrupted in some way, the dropdowns should never reflect "historical" data, i.e., items or mis-entered names that were in your library in the past but are no longer present.

Mar 1, 2015 5:30 PM in response to mthawsh

Here is an example. When I type "C" in the Artist field the drop down shows "Carbonite, Inc." and Clickgamer.com". among legitimate artists. Neither of these are related to music ever copied into iTunes. I've looked into "iTubes Library 2014-11-17.xml which does have active album information but nothing to do with "Carbonite, Inc." or Clickgamer.com".

Mar 1, 2015 5:36 PM in response to mthawsh

I suspect that is a bug - iTunes is somehow picking up information associated with Apps and presenting it as part of the Artists list. The same thing happens with Composer values which also end up in the Artists dropdown. As far as I know there is no workaround for this (though I'd be delighted to discover that there is one) - you can report this to Apple via their feedback page.

How do I clean up the memory (cache) that records Artists and Albums I've recorded using iTunes? The associated drop down list for these are becoming too long.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.