Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multicam Clip - Nudging Selected Clip Moves Unselected Clips

Been having problems now for a while with on several projects when I need to manually align clips in a Multicam Clip. For instance when creating the Multicam Clip FCPX doesn't get some of the clips aligned 100% correctly. When I attempt to select a particular clip and nudge it it starts moving all the clips to the right of the selected clip. Suddenly I find the multicam is a complete mess and have to start again. I have to constantly fine work arounds because of this. It's driving me crazy and making what would be a very quick process with the help of FCPX audio align feature a huge nightmare.

Anyone else come across this. It doesn't happen all the time. And I've haven't been able to single out what starts causing it. It doesn't seem to be linked to a particular type of clip as it happens on many different formats such as 4K, 1080, mov, avchd etc.

I've shown this to Apple technical support on several occasions and they were not sure what is causing it, but did witness it themselves. I do believe this to be a bug and it's driving me crazy because it's wasting so much of my time. After spending hours finding work arounds and manually readjusting clips again and again, I would actually get this done much faster doing it 100% manually like I used to do in Adobe Premier CS6. Or perhaps use Adobe Premier CC which has audio align?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 4:02 PM

7 replies

Mar 2, 2015 7:27 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for the trying Luis. Much appreciated.

It must be something in my footage or some combination of something I'm doing.

Looks like I'm going to have to spend some time trouble shooting this to figure out what's causing it if other people aren't having the same issue. Apple was unable to reproduce it also.

Ya, the position tool is selected. I don't think it has anything to do with how I'm manipulation the footage itself. It has to be some weird combination of events together causing this. I'm wondering if it's something in the GH4 footage. I thought it may be only happening when I have GH4 4K footage mixed with 1080 but yesterday I had a multicam clip with only 1080 and it was happening.

Or it's something specific to my laptop and FCPX.

I'm going to make a quick demo video and post it for reference. Maybe someone can see something I'm doing wrong or at least show what I'm doing so someone can try to reproduce it.

Mar 2, 2015 9:16 AM in response to WDI

I think the problem I'm having stems from mixing formats/frame rates on a single angle. I'll change up the GH4 on the fly often starting on 1080 AVCHD 23.98 and change to 4K mov 29.97 for pan crop etc. Not sure if this is what causes the nudging problem. But it looks like I need to give different camera names in the metadata between the different formats before building the multicam. I rebuilt a couple using this technique and FCPX built much cleaner multicam clips that I did not need to clean up. Therefore, I'm not really sure if that will fix the issue I'm having when I have to manually nudge clips into place.

Mar 2, 2015 10:52 AM in response to WDI

WDI wrote:

Luis, do you have 4K clips to test with?

Even after separating out angles so all footage is the same per angle, my 4k angles get messed up when nudging clips in the 4K angle.

I did not have 4K clips at hand, but I created a dummy 4K project, added some clips and exported a few bits. Then I reimported those just created 4K clips, created a multicam, and could not reproduce the problem.

Have you tried: 1) deleting preferences; 2) running FCP X from a new admin user account?

Mar 2, 2015 1:35 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yup, a while back Apple had me do that while troubleshooting, hmm, it might have been this same issue.

Hey Luis, since your being very nice and helping, do you think you could try this using clips that have a different frame rate than the multicam clip? As I've been troubleshooting, it appears to happen regardless of frame size or type of file. It seems to be happening when the multicam clip has a different frame rate than the clips in the multicam clip.

Multicam Clip - Nudging Selected Clip Moves Unselected Clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.