Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to restrict child's account payment option to iTunes gift cards only

i set up an apple ID for my child under 13. The default is to charge parents credit card for purchases. I bought my child an iTunes gift card and would like to limit Her purchase to this amount. The idea is she is responsible for topping up her account when she needs to. However the default is to ask to buy and its linkEd to parents account. How should I modify the setting so I can just limit her purchase to amount on her gift card

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 5:44 PM

1 reply

Mar 1, 2015 10:59 PM in response to frances17

If she has a balance on her account then that should automatically be used first : Family purchases and payments - Apple Support

After you set up your family, any time a family member initiates a new purchase it will be billed directly to your account unless that family member has gift or store credit. First, their store credit will be used to pay the partial or total bill. The remainder will bill to the family organizer's card. As the family organizer, any receipts generated by the transaction will be sent to you.

The card on your family organiser's account (you should be able to remove it if you don't want any charges going to it), will only be charged if her balance doesn't cover the total price for what she wants to purchase.

I think that if you have 'ask to buy' enabled for her then you will still be asked whether her balance or your account is charged.

how to restrict child's account payment option to iTunes gift cards only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.