Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Web links as icons on iPad

I like to create web links as icons on my iPad (using "Add to Home Screen" in Safari).

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 8.1.3, 64 gb

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 2:30 PM

1 reply

Mar 1, 2015 2:38 PM in response to JScott

I like to create web links as icons on my iPad (using "Add to Home Screen" in Safari). Today, though, I found a few of my older ones where the URL is no longer valid and so I was trying to get rid of them.

I press on the icon and hold till all the icons begin to wiggle with the little X in the upper left corner. However, if I tap the X on something I want to delete, instead of deleting, the icon along with random other icons on the same home screen start flashing to appear and disappear. All the icons retain the X in the corner but their rate of "wiggling" slows down.

Pressing the Home button does nothing to change the situation. The only way I could stop it is to reboot the iPad or attempt a reset.

Another anomaly that occurred today is that my web link icons all took on a generic appearance of white with a black grid. I have only been able to restore the original appearance of some of them by using them to access their URL - sometimes when the underlying URL fully loads in Safari, the link icon will pick up an image, sometimes it won't.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to resolve this.

Web links as icons on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.