Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Imported Yesterday Missing Today!

I've been working with iPhoto a lot over the last couple of days, trying to get my head around how it works and figuring out how to work with it.

Yesterday I spent a considerable amount of time going through a nest of archived files on my hard drive, reorganizing them. I imported all the image files into iPhoto and organized them into a couple different albums, then deleted them off the hard drive as I went. Was very proud of myself at the end of the evening to have all the images organized in iPhoto and all the other files cleaned up and organized on my hard drive. Today I'm in iPhoto and notice that all but one of those albums I created yesterday are empty! Where could it all have gone since yesterday?! Trying not to panic as I think a lot of this is still in my trash can and possibly in my time machine. Any idea what's going on or advice about how to recover these files?

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 2:20 PM

5 replies

Mar 1, 2015 2:45 PM in response to Jeff Brewer

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Photos Imported Yesterday Missing Today!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.