Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't want my deleted mail removed after 30 days

I sent my Mail/Preferences/Accounts/iCloud IMAP/Mailbox Behaviors to 1) Checkbox-Move deleted messages to the Trash Mailbox. 2) Checkbox-Store delete messages on the server 3) Permanently erase deleted messages when: NEVER!. Yet it still deletes them after 30 days. What am I doing wrong? Is there another Advanced setting I'm not aware of? Also, how can send my deleted messages to my MAC? At least there it gets backed up!

I"m using Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Mail Preferences not working

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 7:39 PM

You would need to make those settings of never on every device. If not, the other devices would override the settings on the computer.

Also note that at iCloud.com website, mail settings don't allow you to change the deletion period. It is set for 30 days. So, I don't think the never setting will work for iCloud with messages on the server. Maybe if every device was set to never, the website may change to reflect the device settings. Never tried it, so I don't know.

You shouldn't store messages in the Trash. Sooner or later they will get accidentally deleted. Create local mailboxes under On My Mac to store messages.

If you insist on storing messages in the Trash, uncheck Store messages on the server. Then the deleted messages will be local to the computer and you can set the setting to Never. However, if you using other devices for mail, you would have to verify using this method will move the message to the trash also on the computer when deleting from another device. The other devices should probably still remain as storing deleted messages on the server, but you should test each way if one doesn't work as needed.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 7:39 PM in response to KevStan

You would need to make those settings of never on every device. If not, the other devices would override the settings on the computer.

Also note that at iCloud.com website, mail settings don't allow you to change the deletion period. It is set for 30 days. So, I don't think the never setting will work for iCloud with messages on the server. Maybe if every device was set to never, the website may change to reflect the device settings. Never tried it, so I don't know.

You shouldn't store messages in the Trash. Sooner or later they will get accidentally deleted. Create local mailboxes under On My Mac to store messages.

If you insist on storing messages in the Trash, uncheck Store messages on the server. Then the deleted messages will be local to the computer and you can set the setting to Never. However, if you using other devices for mail, you would have to verify using this method will move the message to the trash also on the computer when deleting from another device. The other devices should probably still remain as storing deleted messages on the server, but you should test each way if one doesn't work as needed.

I don't want my deleted mail removed after 30 days

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.